2021 - High End shred guitar recommendations!

For a new Floyd guitar, I’d either get a Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas. Or if you really want 24 frets, Ibanez Genesis or Schecter Sun Valley. If you want fixed bridge, pick an LTD with the bridge and body shape you want, and customize pickups to taste if necessary. Or if you’re willing to do 22 frets with a fixed bridge, there are lots of Squiers and Epiphones you could use as a base.

I have one of the charvel dk24 and it has very good value for the price. My complaints would be fretwork (neck itself is awesome so not a huge deal) and maybe I got a dud but not like the low profile Floyd. solid if you don’t use the bar but have not been able to get it to return as it should. I have messed with it quite a bit myself and also had it professionally set up. Just not as rock solid as an OFR in my experience.

@svarteaske I have high hopes and I am praying that I love it but I am nervous. Honestly have had the worst experience with Kiesal so far. I heard horror stories but did not really believe it until now haha. Giving them the benefit of the doubt as I know they have kind of exploded and covid etc, but have not gotten a good vibe from Jeff. Hoping it is everything I am expecting because it honestly looks perfect for my current needs.

1 Like

Wow, i left for a day and the thread grew legs! Cool. I agree about the les pauls for sure, as Troy said, you plug it in and “oh, that’s what i’m looking for,” And this definitely isnt a need conversation. I don’t need the the Petrucci anymore plain and simple and i’m no longer enchanted by its sound, but i love its tine neck and feel plain and simple. Maybe I should buy a cheap Sterling model and mod that. I need some time to go through the chat but I don’t mind this chat as a show and tell for fellow shredders. THANKS TO ALL!

Well I will eat my words regarding Kiesel. Got the guitar today. Have never played a better super strat type (well neck through) I don’t think. Maybe not even a better guitar. Super versatile, perfectly set up, beautiful neck, perpetual burn pickup is dope, super versatile sounds with the coil splits. I was also wrong about Jeff. Long story short a wrong option was put on when ordered and I let them know immediately and called etc. at first they said it was fine to change but when I checked on it near due date they had already installed and said too bad basically and that it was the policy etc. well looks like they did a rebuild (said rebuild per JK) which is why it took so long. So they gained a customer back for sure. Granted they didn’t tell me haha but it was a really nice surprise.

Pictures please. And lets hear it if possible.

Congrats!

Though, not to single you out here, but I think Jimmy Page pretty famously makes a case that the “LP Sound” is more than a short scale and a chunk of mahogany - most of the first few Led Zep albums were a Tele, after all.

I suspect part of the OP’s problem is that basswood is just a very neutral tonewood. I don’t find it especially ompressed - in the case of the Jem, IMO that’s more the Evo pickups than it is the guitar - so before I’d do anything, I’d try some pickup swapping, to something a little more low-medium output, sort of PAF-y.

After that… in the $1k range, I’ve really been impressed by a lot of the Charvel superstrats I’ve picked up lately. Definiteyl worth a shot, though again a different set of pickups, and looking for something a little more “vintage” output, will possibly help, depending on what model.

As far as Kiesel, I’ve heard too many customer service horror stories coming out of that shop since they dropped the Carvin branding for me to be comfortable ordering anything from there.

And, as an Ibanez fan (the OP), a RG550 of some sort is always worth having around. The necks are a bit too thin for me and there’s nothing “vintage” or “LP-like” about them, but a RG550 in an obnixious color with a set of PAF Pros owns for the sort of 80s tones you’re talking about.

Excuse my poor playing have been working all day and just had a chance to test it out! Haven’t had a chance to dial in the tone yet on the amp sims. It’s really nice my video doesn’t do it justice. This is my first time with a neck through actually and I am loving the access.

5 Likes

I have a charvel that I really like too. I like the jazz neck but do not like the full shred bridge. Hard to beat their value at around 1k

I am glad that you’re diggin it. Yes the Perpetual Burn is an amazing pickup and it works really well with the split !

I figured I owe everyone here an update after I started the threat to scratch my shred itch. Here’s what came last week:

Vola Luna. Got a great deal and I must say these are magnificent guitars! Pickups sound amazing, and the neck plays itself!

2 Likes

Looks nifty, like a Caparison crossed with an Ibanez S series

Congrats, looks like a great playing guitar, very slick!

@Prlgmnr definitely thought it was a caparison!