3rd and 7th mode of double harmonic major

I would like to ask about songs and composers based on these scales.

Ultraphrygian and Locrian double flat3 double flat7

Hey, this seems to be quite a specific question! What are you looking for, exactly? Do you have some examples / videos of this sort of thing? I think the more context you can provide the more likely you may be to get some replies.

1 Like

I would go and ask Rick Beato

1 Like

Hm, haven’t experimented with those. If you’ve got examples, I’d like to hear them.

But I like Locrian Sharp 2 a lot. Obscure name, but cool sound that any pop music fan can relate to. The phrase at 00:45 in this thing we did with Tyler Larson is Locrian Sharp 2:

3 Likes

Yikes… I just tried that 7th mode… and it sounds so tough to make music from.

Unfortunately I do not have any examples,all I have is a short information from wiki.

_The double harmonic scale is not commonly used in classical music from Western culture, as it does not closely follow any of the basic musical modes, nor is it easily derived from them. It also does not easily fit into common Western chord progressions such as the authentic cadence. _

_This is because it is mostly used as a modal scale, not intended for much movement through chord progressions. _

_The Arabic scale (in the key of E) was used in Nikolas Roubanis’s “Misirlou”, and in the Bacchanale from the opera Samson and Delilah by Saint-Saëns. _

Claude Debussy used the scale in “Soirée dans Grenade”, “La Puerta del Vino”, and “Sérénade interrompue” to evoke Spanish flamenco music or Moorish heritage.

_ In popular music, Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple and Rainbow _
used the scale in pieces such as “Gates of Babylon” and “Stargazer”.

Miles Davis jazz standard “Nardis” also makes use of the double harmonic.

Like most heptatonic (seven pitches in the octave) scales, the double harmonic scale has a mode for each of its individual scale degrees.

The most commonly known of these modes is the 4th mode, the Hungarian minor scale, most similar to the harmonic minor scale with a raised 4th degree. The modes are as follows:

Tonic mode – Double harmonic major
2nd mode – Lydian ♯2 ♯6
3rd mode – Ultraphrygian
4th mode – Hungarian minor
5th mode – Oriental
6th mode – Ionian augmented ♯2
7th mode – Locrian double flat3 double flat7

Hungarian minor scale it is not a problem but 3rd & 7th mode

I would go and ask Rick Beato
I do not like him, he talks only to people who want to give him money.
My favorite teacher from Youtube is Christopher Brellochs.

perfect profile for poor people who can not afford paid lessons.

By the way,Erik Satie’s Gnossienne 1 is an example of composition with mood
which I am looking for :slight_smile:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: On emailing guitarists…

Nice!

@Troy I never knew that you appeared on Youtube channels other than yours. Even your guitarworld.com lessons used videos that exist in the Troy Grady YT channel.

Any guitar video material from you outside CtC that some of us might have missed? :slight_smile:

Edit: this is a little off-topic. So please feel free to remove my message.

This is the only time I can think of when we’ve done this. Honestly, anything good takes time to think about and work on, no matter how trivial seeming on the surface. So lots of “vlog”-style reaction videos and collaboration type creative stuff is probably not on our radar for the most part. There just aren’t enough hours in the day!

1 Like