A Completely New Style Of Shred

Moments of this are awesome - the melodic line from 1:00 through 1:14, in particular, is some damned cool tense-yet-melodic playing. But the main theme, I think, he plays before and after that, there are stretches where I’m really struggling to hear what the relationship is between what the lead guitar is doing, and what everyone else is. Idunno - there may be a method to his madness, but it’s not really grabbing my ear if so.

It sounded fresh and rotten at the same time. I felt like I wanted to like it, but intonation was off and was melodically lacking. However, intonation aside, there were seeds of good ideas, you could chop up the tune into a few chunks and make 3 different tunes from it (providing that some other interesting and contrast os added.

2 Likes

hey @Acecrusher thanks for taking my comments in the spirit they were intended: not to be rude to you or the artist, but just to contribute honestly to the question asked in the original post/

Re: consistency of time: yes, in the long runs they weren’t metronomically even. That is totally fine in the sense that 8ths/16ths don’t have to be totally even/quantized, but for me, aesthetically it didn’t work in this context and it didn’t sound intentional, it sounded more like a physical issue in his playing that he needs to clean up. However, if he’s intentionally trying to do kind of a uneven/loose 16ths there, then, well, cool I guess, but it didn’t work for me as a listener. For what it’s worth, Coltrane wasn’t super even and metronomic with his 8ths/16ths either, it was part of the sound.

Re: Intonation, yeah what Troy said. Not the bends, just the way he’s playing the non-bent notes OR the guitar itself possibly, but probably pulling off too hard, maybe accidentally doing little bends or pushing too hard into the fretboard. Or it’s just the guitar, i’d have to listen again to assess. But I really mean in those long runs of 16ths (or whatever the note value was) it just sounded out of tune. Again, this could be used for effect and be cool, but I’m not getting the vibe that that was what he was going for.

1 Like