A Song People Would Be Surprised You Like

Crimson Glory, one of the many great Tampa Bay heavy metal bands, is one band I’m sorry to say I never got to see in concert. It would have been amazing to see them on tour for their first album or on tour for the Transcendence album which I consider their greatest album an a progressive metal masterpiece. Her is one of my favorite songs which was on their first album although for reasons I don’t know, not all th copies of their first album contain this song which was considered their potential radio hit single.

4 Likes

Speaking of underrated heavy metal bands. Savatage rules.

2 Likes

“Savatage rules.”

You bet, Dissonant Timbres! It’s that Tampa Bay Metal! Savage and Crimson Glory are two of the best bands to come out of Tmapa Bay but there are a lot of other bands that were also excellent but for one reason or another never got the success they deserved. I think Criss Oliva - the original guitarist of Savatage was an amazing guitarist and very underrated. He wrote great riffs and was a great lead player as well. In a way Savatage died when he did. They continued being a great band but a big part of what made them what they were was gone forever. Here’s a song with an especially good guitar solo by Criss Oliva:

2 Likes

My band recorded a cover of “Hall of the Mountain King” for our upcoming album as a bonus track, maybe when it’s released I’ll post it. Love Savatage, I actually started a thread about Criss Oliva on this forum a while back. His solos are excellent and mostly beyond my abilities so I’ve focused mostly on studying his riffs and arrangements. I love the rhythm playing in tunes like “Power of the Night” and “Holocaust”. Big inspiration for my live performance skills too.

1 Like

“Love Savatage, I actually started a thread about Criss Oliva on this forum a while back. His solos are excellent and mostly beyond my abilities so I’ve focused mostly on studying his riffs and arrangements.”

Did you notice how much his soloing style changed from the time of Sirens to later albums like Gutter Ballet and Edge Of Thorns? The solos on Dungeons Are Calling and Sirens sound much more aggressive and Ithink are more pentatonic based. On the later albums a lot of that aggression was gone, and part of it probably had to do with him using more legato technique and less hard picking involved. I like both his early soloing style and his soloing style on the later albums. it’s unusual to see a guitarist change his style SO much.

1 Like

Chic are amazing…I’m also a huge fan of the Chic Organization. Bernard and Nile are major heroes…I LOVE Bernard’s playing especially. Amazing. His solo on The Power Station’s version of “Bang A Gong” (Get It On)" is insane and everybody thinks it was John Taylor!

That made me wonder about something. I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard electronic dance or electronic pop music, but supposing if was electronic pop, but with a dark sound (is that what Portishead was?) to it, like gothic or industrial electronic pop, do you think a metal type guitar solo could work?

Maybe you wouldn’t be surprised? Muahaha. This guy’s a f’in genius.

A long-time fan of Pet Shop Boys here. I generally enjoy pop music, and don’t listen much to guitar music (although I used to listen to it in huge amounts).

I also love J.S.Bach music.

1 Like

I like the Pet Shop Boys too @Alexander They used a Emu Emulator II all over West End Girls. I love that keyboard.

G-Damn Laura was fine as a MF.

I’m also a big fan of Mylène Farmer. Have no idea how could I fail to mention her in my previous post.

Don’t hassle the Hoff man.

2 Likes

…kinda hard to play in drop C tuning…

This shouldn’t surprise anyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

LMAO, yeah I guess I can’t surprise anyone anymore.