All downstrokes at crazy speed Eric Steckel

how about down up then middle finger; ie swybrid. I got it extremely fast my man.

1 Like

That’s cheating lol!!! (just kidding)

Of course that‘s possible but sounds totaly different.

That‘s exeptional for being able to do upstrokes faster then downstrokes.

Okay, well sorry man - I was just trying to offer some suggestions. I didn’t find it too difficult to go DU on the D string then Down again on the G as well. I had to kind of supinate to get that one, felt a bit gangly.

I was able to get it pretty quick with U D D, and also U D U but that’s just me. 16ths @ 162 for about 10 min or so of practice. Could probably get a lot faster if I worked it, and I’m sure a supinated USX player would do the opposite DUD really fast.

But if it’s gotta be only downstrokes, then that’s just the way it is I guess!

1 Like

Thnx for your input man!
But the purpose of my initial post is to show how fast Eric can play all downstrokes and to find out some of you guys can do this, because i can‘t.
It gives a specific sound and has this strong percussive attack.

Of course there are different ways to play this line, i would have do do it in a different way, but that’s not what i was interested in.

YES YOU CAN! And if you aren’t as fast, NEVER GIVE UP THE DREAM!

Haha! Maybe…but i have other (more important) things to practice :wink:

Oh jeez, sorry if I derailed the conversation, not my intent! You got this, rock it!

1 Like

Are you usx or dsx setup? That sounds to me like maybe you are really fast at dsx, if you play usx I would say you definitely should try a dsx setup. Because it sounds like your dominant stroke of the two.

No, I’m forearm and wrist Usx, but I don’t think that it matters when it comes to all downstroke stuff.

have you benchmarked a tremolo in dsx compared to usx? if your upstroke is faster see if you might be faster in dsx.

i know with learning the rest stroke that my down stroke speed is way above my up stroke speed now, which is why you might be suprised to find out your dsx might be really fast compared to your usx setup. do you ever dabble with a dsx setup?

with my techniques i can tell my down stroke is like the dominant of the two motions, feels like being right handed. i just have more control and power with that stroke over the up stroke.

I’ll phrase my terminology carefully here as there is an obviousness to how he achieves this and put one way, many folks scream BS and put another way, may be more generally accepted - he certainly does not have an iota of any excess movement whatsoever. that is one key part to the technique to play at that speed, slower speeds, not so critical. when I learned to control and minimize unnecessary, excess movement, it did wonders for my downpicking and playing in general. Sometimes that concept seems to stir up some controversy, I would point to the video however and point out the obviousness of that, I think it’s an awesome example for those trying to achieve that type of mechanic in their repertoire

1 Like

That is one fat tone in that first video. I bet it sounds massive in the room.

Speaking of downstrokes, I think Marty Friedman does all downstrokes on what would normally be upstroked arpeggios, right?

1 Like

Now you have peaked my interest, I best not be disappointed. Which I was not just checked it, and comfirmed, although he seems to kind of use a bit of thumb/index to do it faster.