All Downstrokes

@shabtronic No worries, whenever you have spare time I’m very interested in the vertical motion as I’m not familiar with what that is.

@ASTN Thanks I’ll have a look at that video. I actually let out a lot more pick than Brendon does, i’ve always let quite a bit of pick out for rhythm stuff and a bit less for lead. Not sure if that really matters or not…

Do you guys have the pick at about a 45 degree angle to the strings? I do and I’m wondering with continuous downstrokes is that what is maybe causing the pick to rotate so much…

For me it’s not very crucial. Actually I prefer to have about 40% of pick open for downstrokes, but sometimes I start chuggy section after playing previous part of song and I find my pick drown deep in my fingers )

What angle do you mean? My slanting angle is about 45°, leaning ~20-30° to neck, edge picking angle ~20°.

My pick is almost always vertically perpendicular to the strings when I’m “chuggin”. And it’s flat on with the strings - no 45% angle

Side on view of strings and pick (pls excuse my comedy ascii art:) )

hhhh 
    hhhhhmmmm

---------V------B
nnnn ppp

h=hand
m=palm
n=neck
B=bridge
p=pickup

If I’m “scuffin” it’s entirely different - more like normal picking for speed.

When I finally manage to do that vid - you’ll see.

Hey all, just a quick reminder that you can find a lot of good stuff via the search function! By searching “fast downstrokes” I get a least a couple of interesting threads:

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that!, believe it or not I actually complete forgot I could search :joy: I’m incompetent at the internet!