Am I crosspicking or string hopping?

Ok, a while has past. =) Been fiddling about with different techniques and the other day I saw the post from @Troy about 3finger grip as @tommo recommended earlier. Read about the knocking and tried a little. Felt good after ca 30 minutes, and search the site for crosspicking, rewatched the old “crosspick w/wrist” and got some new insights. Then I found a video I had missed - “crosspick with compound” which was an eye opener. Messed around with that technique which made me realize the difference of crosspick w/ deviation and forearm rotation. So, by trying out the compound version, I got a better understanding of the deviation version because I experienced the difference. This really helped me relaxing my deviation crosspicking. Learning is so cool! So thanks cracking the code!

2 Likes

Could you please send me the link to this video? Think I’ve watched it, but want to rewatch

1 Like

@john_louis Here’s the compound video: Crosspicking With The Wrist And Forearm

The other one: just click the search button and “cross picking with the wrist”…

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hey that’s awesome! So did you have a sort of instant change in the things you were able to do / speeds you were able to crosspick? And do you remember what where the key steps in your learning process here?

We are always looking for simpler / more effective ways to teach this stuff so we’re all ears :slight_smile:

@tommo o I think the great distinction started with doing the compound version - that really made me sort out the sensation of actually needing to use the forearm - and when to use the more “Andyesque” double escape. I’m not saying they’re faster - but more: I can separate them and switch between them instead of doing them both simultaneously. Really knowing what I’m doing. Yes, they’re smoother now, maybe not up to speed yet. But I think it’ll come for it’s quite new still and I have to work for a time to make them natural. (I think I did some weird blend before).

As you and @Troy described as “wobbly fish” =)

1 Like

Have I reduced the “wobbliness”?

@tommo @Troy

1 Like

Yep this looks more “wristy” to me! Does it feel better?

Definitely, better tone and more in control, don’t suffer from fatigue like before!