Amplitube 5 vs Real Amps...Why?

I’ve been playing tube amps for like 13 years, amp sims have been pretty disappointing for me in comparison. They didn’t bounce like the amps did. They’ve come a long way but I still prefer the amps at this point. BUT micing up your amp and knowing what to do with everything to get it to sound good is a totally different ball game and it’s a totally different price range, so I really do understand appeal of the amp sim.

I only occasionally use 1 amp sim that I liked and that’s the Neural DSP Abasi (I heard the Cory Wong one was good also). But still, there’s something about using a $125 amp simulator over my $1400 amp that doesn’t sit well with me. I’ve tried GR5 and Bias, didn’t like them much. And also any chance that I get to buy an actual, tangible product, I’m for it. At least I can sell it if I don’t like it.

That being said, I’m a night owl and you can’t always crank up your amp at all hours of the day so I started using the Torpedo Captor X loadbox in the studio and on gigs and I really love it. It lets your safely run a tube amp without a cab, direct into the computer with a speaker IR simulation.

At this point in time, I really think it’s the best of both worlds. The cleans still feel like they need a little something but a good room plugin evens out the sound a lot. It’s the best of both worlds, I get to use my tube amp (and it does still FEEL just like my amp) without the annoyance of micing it up in my mediocre room. Plus, when I bring it out to gigs, I sound like I’m in the studio and that’s 10x better than listening to my amp mic’d with an SM57🤢

1 Like

+1 on that. It’s such a drag, too. How many times would I sit at the studio thinking, jeez, if someone pulls this iLok from the back of the Mac, I won’t be able to pull up any of the mixes…How much are those licenses worth NOW?

Then the software companies started doing subscription rates…FOR STUFF I ALREADY BOUGHT! You guys HAVE my money, going back how long?

Don’t get me started, because I think the real dot.CON is the DMCA “safe harbor” provision. That framework worked for the late 90’s, but it ceased to hold water REAL fast, and empires were built on the race to the bottom that it started. Then look up “Lenz vs. Universal” and realize that THAT’S current legal precedent. Thank you, Ninth Circuit – right in the neighborhood of the tech companies – no bias at all, right? If you ever want a good laugh, I’ll show you some of the YouTube items on my BMI royalty statements. If it’s a “free market,” can BMI and ASCAP negotiate a better rate on behalf of rights holders? Or does the legal climate and precedent mean they have to take what they can get? Think about it: they didn’t “free the music;” they kneecapped the system so they could sell it out the back door at fire sale rates, and, who cares, because they saw that within 10 years (from the Lenz decision), the entire history of recorded music would be uploaded, and “safe harbor” meant that, as long as users did the uploading, they could sell ads on any song until the copyright owners of THAT SONG, who may or may not be 1) alive, 2) technically competent, 3) interested, since a lot of this doesn’t turn into “real money” until you get to a crazy “aggregate” kind of level…you get the drift…until the copyright owners say, “hey, WTF, that’s MY SONG, please take it down!” And when Google/YouTube becomes such a massive outlet that, you know, it’s getting investigated for monopoly, a copyright owner has a choice: kneel to the tech gods and present your work in exchange for whatever they feel like paying you, or try to make your mark in the public eye with one hand tied behind your back, so to speak.

(By the way, I am eternally suspicious about whether all of those uploaded songs are user-generated, or if there were some in-house batch uploads assigned to fictitious identities. I mean, albums all miraculously have clickable track timings, and singles always seem to have lyrics in the comments section, all in similar formats. And maybe you don’t know that the fact that an image plays back with the song makes it a “video” and not technically an audio copy of the song, so the legal rules applying to it are different. Maybe that’s why YouTube never did image-free radio…).

I’m ALL ABOUT the 20-year evolution from CD’s to streaming. I’m on another public forum speaking out about that going way back (2006 or so). I just think it was GROSSLY mishandled and cursed us with an economy that throws scraps to rights holders – and with streaming on demand being an end-game, an ideal delivery system, there is little or no chance that we can evolve our way out of it. We create (and have created) INCREDIBLE value for those companies. Google/YouTube’s market cap is 1.189 TRILLION dollars. How much of that is from perpetual ad revenue from people searching song after song after song? The CD-era record industry PEAKED at $11B/year – that is less than ONE PERCENT of that market cap (and there are other outlets too, like Spotify), and the record companies had entire departments dedicated to scouting and artist development. Is music not creating that kind of value now (or MORE!), or are the tech companies just taking the good stuff and giving us crumbs while saying, “heads we win, tails you lose?”

If they got the royalty rates right, it would fund an entire, vital ecosystem – you would see business people jumping into the fray, investing in and working out deals with promising artists (advances, artist development) in exchange for a piece of the VALUABLE action. Not like that approach ever got us anywhere, you know, from Elvis to Hendrix to U2 to Nirvana to Coldplay. Media incubators (production) with A&R staff with signing power (budgets!) should be the blueprint for the industry. Set the bar high, with expectations and rewards, and get producers to PRODUCE, managers to MANAGE, and push creatives to CREATE. Then see what happens…

1 Like

Could have sworn I’d mentioned this in my post above, but if I did I can’t find it - yeah, this basic approach is hands down the best way to get a cohesive guitar tone out of two mics. I go about it a little different than you, in part because I’m not working in a control room - my 4x12 is to the side of my desk - but I’ll get my first mic (a SM57) positioned to sound as good as I can get it, and then bring in a second mic (MD421 generally) out of phase, and move it around a mm or so at a time, strumming chords or playing single note lines in between, until I can make it sound as raspy and shrill and thin and weak and generally shitty as possible. THEN, I’ll flip phase, and god willing it’ll sound pretty lush.

It wasn’t a huge get together and I think I remember everyone who was there, but if Cliff from Fractal was the one there and Angel Vivaldi was shredding up a storm all night, you very well may have been! :rofl: Pretty sure I’d have remembered your chops though.