“Another Day” solo

It depends on the tempo. The faster it is, the less I feel it. Maybe I swipe sometimes on outside changes, I’ll make a note if I notice myself doing so :smiley:

Here is a closer look at the picking hand:

3 Likes

I love your guitar! What is it?

1 Like
1 Like

Ah I see what you’re doing, thanks for giving me a glimpse under the microscope :slight_smile: Great playing, as per the usual!

2 Likes

*great swiping you mean :stuck_out_tongue: :sweat_smile:

Also, @qwertygitarr 's interpretation sounds more valid for my ears compared to the Escobar version.

If I would play this live, I may add a hammer on before closing the second group of sixes so I can avoid the upstroke before hitting the B string. OR I would just swip as hard as I can :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah I dunno. Seems like you’re apologizing for it lol. It’s a brilliant string changing solution and some of the best players ever use it. NO ONE is going to hear it when casually listening to a well played (yet swiped) phrase in the context of a full mix. I’d almost consider it a “side effect” of the playing of the instrument.

When I was studying classical guitar in college, I asked my teacher what I could do when changing positions to eliminate that annoying “squeak” we hear as our fingers slide over the wound strings (E A D). Rather than offer a solution, he told me something sort of interesting. He played often as a duo with a very good concert flautists. Since he sat right next to hear, he said he heard an endless amount ‘clickity-clackety’ from her keys. He also heard her gasping for breath every couple of measures. The audience likely heard very little of this. His point was every instrument has some degree of a non musical sound that is the side effect of us playing it. Rather than eliminate it (which may not be totally possible), he said to focus on the best possible tone production and musical expression.

I think your swiping is just fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not saying swiping is not good. It’s an absolutely valid technique in my opinion. I just talk about mine haha :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s sort of clear this was meant to be all scalar (first measure below), 16th position for the last 6 notes. There’s a position shift into the next bend in the live video above.

Second measure is the “exactly what happened” version.

2 Likes

And that is one of the things that tripped me up over the years. (Minus the gracenote slurs) I actually would always try playing this closer to your second example since that’s what I heard

I find it facinating how the intention differs from reality and most peoples ears gravitate toward the intention!

2 Likes