Any Left handed players not making progress with right hand picking?

Thanks a lot for the tips! I get what you’re talking about with it keeping it parallel to the strings and I’ve sensed that in the past. My problem is I can spot a problem but then my hand can’t physically do the right motion at least not with right hand. Is there any tips or things to focus on to get the ups more parallel to the string. A lot of times I just can’t visualize what it should look like. Thanks again!

Thanks! I’ve tried rotation in the past and it just didn’t work for me. Also in those videos my hand actually is anchored and I’m not using elbow. It’s actually reverse dart thrower wrist.
Also when I used rotation I ran into the same problem. I could fast but it falls apart the slower I get. That’s what happens for whichever technique I use,ie,wrist,elbow,rotational.

The rotation and flexion and extension is the main thing to keep in mind, though as you get used to it, it blends into the other movements and becomes it’s own thing that I can’t really discribe.

Yes I see you anchored with your reverse dart move, I think you should stick with that and add rotation with flexion and extension as much as you can, I know it works because it’s what I do all the time, but we are all built different so perhaps it’s not for you, but I can promise it will lead to good things with enough time.

What do you mean it falls apart? you start using your fingers more like you said? Because that is normal for most players. When you slow down you can use your fingers a lot.

And one thing I forget is ofcourse you are doing it with your left, I think as you put more time into it, it will really start to flow, I have tried switching before and it’s so awkward. Almost worse that first picking up the guitar.

If you get a pen and paper and watch yourself write text, what you do there will be very close to a good picking technique.

Could you record a video of you sweeping with your left or right? The way your hand moves and the angles it changes to should show you where your hand should be picking. Sweeping exposes a lot of your natural hand movements, you wouldn’t be able to sweep if you hand is truly doing bad movements, because it requires the pick to glide across the strings smoothly, and you have to have the pick in very specific positions to do that.

Left-handed, but have always played guitar right-handed. Do some other stuff right-handed as well, baseball, e.g. Never been able to get much speed with my picking. Working on it, but it’s been a frustrating journey. If I work too much on it, I end up with repetitive stress problems so I have to back off for awhile. Too much string hopping.

I have or had the same problem with string hopping too! Then when I use left hand to pick everything is perfectly right with no practice at all. I really wonder if not using your dominant hand is a factor? Maybe there hasn’t been enough research into it since most people are right handed. I’m now practicing using rest strokes after the upstrokes and maybe that will help out?

1 Like

Good luck to you! I feel like if you can get rest strokes working at speed you’re probably almost there, but I really wouldn’t know since I have difficulty picking through the strings to get rest. A lot of time I just bounce off.

Thanks! You too! If you post videos of you’re playing on here you’re bound to get help and some tips.

Thanks! I’m afraid the only tips I’ll get are to not give up my day job, lol.

Have you tried to see what happens if you pick with your left hand? You might be surprised. What happened to me was I tried starting out slow with right hand and started stringhopping and didn’t make progress. Then I tried starting with speed just to get the feel down and I was able to gain speed even though I suspect there’s problems at the fast speeds. Being able to do it fast is useless though because I can’t slow the correct motion down and I have no control. The only way I ever saw any progress was when I tried picking with my left hand. It was like night and day. The funny thing is it barley took any practice! I struggled for 10 years with right hand and within mins I could with left hand. My point is it might be an option to practice with both hands to have more options and see which one takes off. Sure it sounds scary at first because it’s like starting over but in the long run at least there’s progress which is not happening for right hand. With left hand I can go slow,moderate,fast with the same movement and consistency.