Any tips for learning 3nps modes?

I studied the CAGED system a few months ago but it didnt really make a lasting impact on my playing. I tend to just play scales from specific notes to fit the chords as besi I can. It didnt occur to me to fit 3nps to the Caged system. I will give it ago though as it might help.

At the risk of sounding esoteric, I actually heard an interesting take on nomenclature from Tom Quayle in a recent Guitar Hour Podcast. Iā€™m sure others have made the same argument and itā€™s probably also highly context-based but here it goes anyways.

So, the argument was that 7#5 and 7b13 are actually different chords. Yes, the #5 and the b13 are enharmonically equivalent but the implication of having a #5 is that there is no natural 5. So,

G7#5 = G B D# F
G7b13 = G B D F A C Eb

I just thought this was an interesting point.

3 Likes

Not so esoteric. In jazz the symbols stand in for chordscale possibilities, as opposed to say, the more literal, so-called ā€œcowboy chords,ā€ that are typically treated as physical guitar ā€œgrips.ā€

7#5 signals an altered five, and indicates options for soloing like use of the whole-tone scale. Furthermore, it suggests a natural 9, but does not preclude alteration per se.

Check out the String Fragment System (SFS) taught on this site: Effective Music Practice. In particular, the ā€œSFS Modesā€ and ā€œSFS Modes 2ā€ courses will show you a powerful way to play 3nps modes all over the neck without having to memorise box patterns. Click on the Premium Courses link. I started doing these courses about 3 months back as a relative beginner player. I can now easily play all modes in all keys all over the neck. I couldnā€™t even imagine being able to do this previously. He is a great teacher.

1 Like

Thanks austway, Iā€™ll check that out

Hereā€™s a direct link to the free SFS Modes Crash Course from EMP. If you like this Iā€™d definitely recommend signing up to his premium courses as austway suggests.

Thanks.
I am very impressed with the EMP site. I have signed up.
The backing tracks are very good too. Nicely ordered into all scales and modes in all keys.
Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

I usually use standard 4 voice chords, so in that case thereā€™s no actual difference between these chords (1-7-3-#5). 5th is whether implied or notā€¦
Though thereā€™s contextual difference for me.

Hi DjangoUntrained, if you havenā€™t already, check the Fretboard Visualization Methods thread. My first introduction to ā€œmoveable mini positionsā€ was through the The Advancing Guitarist, by Mick Goodrick. I believe itā€™s important to see the modes on a continuum, not just starting from a root. Iā€™m sure the SFS system must deal with the same, but I found it useful to organize the symmetries into a couple of slightly larger patterns, that when connected, extend to infinity, high and low. Have fun.

1 Like

I really need to go back and revisit that thread, and your FordScales thread, @RockStarJazzCat. The way Iā€™ve always looked at scales has been in 2-string 3nps patterns, as a series of interlocking ā€œchunks,ā€ with the caveat that they interlock in both the vertical and horizontal plane (I.e ā€“ if you take a two string chunk in the E and A strings, it interlocks into a chunk on the A and D stringsā€¦ But, also interlocks with a chunk on the same strings but one scale degree higher, and once you get a finite number of patterns and connections down, you can burn through them pretty quickly all over the neck). But, thinking primarily that way, Iā€™ve also definitely found value in also looking at ā€œboxā€ positions or CAGED positions or defined 3nps patterns or whatever, and I feel like there comes a point where all this stuff starts to blur into one anyway.

1 Like

Hey there, @Drew, thanks. Yeah, when Iā€™m improvising the patterns kind of fade away. Swinging from branch to branch, the individual trees taken individually, matter less.

The open and closed FordScales I patterns are most relevant to this thread, but itā€™s actually the chromatic scale of FordScales II where I put my practice energy. If one is not interested in playing anything and everything in all keys, FordScales I pattern is a quick way to get going. Associate mode names with points in the pattern and one is off and running.

I have a vestigial awareness of Berklee Positions and traditional position playing, but as people are probably a little bored of hearing me say, ā€œCAGEDā€ is of little use to me on my path. Neither strict 3nps nor CAGED allow me to do what I do.

It all comes down to managing complexity, and thinking in intervallic patterns within the chromatic scale has proven most practical for me after 42 years playing/wrestling with guitar mysteries.

1 Like

Check out FRETBOARD FREEDOM by Claus Levin. Great concept that makes my students get going in few lessons (with dedicated practicingšŸ˜‰)

This is not sponsored and really convinced me!

1 Like