Are the new guitarists better than 80s guitarists?

He shouldn’t be talking technique :laughing:

Jason Richardson’s solo work is pretty inspired by EDM and honestly videogame/cinema compositions

If you listen to that and go back to this little exercise over a Zedd song you can see the influence in several parts Zedd (Shredd!) - 'Addicted to a Memory' Outro Guitar Cover - YouTube

4 Likes

Also, there still isn’t enough Tosin Abasi content in this thread

3 Likes

I love Yngwie. Total innovator and clearly a genius. In terms of “skill” though (and this may be opinion, but we’re all being very nice and respectful so I’ll offer my opinion lol!) I just don’t think Yngwie ever had chops like Igor. 240 bpm 16ths??? I’ve never heard it if he’s done it.

But of course, without Yngwie there would be no Igor lol! It’s like when pro athletes win a championship and say “I’ve gotta thank my mom!!!”. Without their mom, they simply wouldn’t exist lol!

1 Like

I can only say that after having studied the mechanics of both players, I don’t believe he could.

This has nothing to do with my question.

I’m quite sure Scott Henderson wouldn’t want to play that solo either, but I’m equally sure that he couldn’t whether he wanted to or not.

Also, @Twangsta and @Ghoststrat , I love Tribal Tech and Scott’s solo albums too!

If we’re going by hearsay and what Guthrie might say in private, I have one for you. A personal friend of mine (who is a Shawn Lane fanatic) took private lessons from Guthrie, and asked him about Shawn. I’m told by my friend that Guthrie considers Shawn to have been very far ahead of him in some ways. However, I’ve never met Guthrie and can’t claim that what my friend conveyed to me is true.

It’s an absolutely incredible display of mechanical capability.

2 Likes

Would one consider this Stefen Shakinger a newer player? 2008 uploads onwards…

and more recently:

I’d say he’s a strong case for refreshing compositions while not going off the rails. Adequate technique. I really like his writing.

1 Like

I always blame the first cell that divided, where ever that was :laughing:

Used to listen to him all the time. Can’t miss this one either, especially the intro:

4 Likes

I think Satriani has earned the right to talk about whatever he pleases, without the likes of us second guessing him. :rofl:

2 Likes

His entire first album is pure gold. Didn’t want to post them all :smiley:
And you can buy his transcriptions too, talking about new talent, Rick Graham has a good body of original work as well.

2 Likes

i remember this, i actually saw zedd, and i will say that concert was one of the best edm concerts i have been to thus far. I enjoyed it better than deadmau5.

1 Like

Shit. How TF has no one mentioned Rick Graham yet on this thread? What a beast.

3 Likes

Meh… he’s mediocre, good entry level stuff, a few great tunes but I wouldn’t put him any where near the level of playing and composition expressed here, if popularity is a contest I’d be a priest of sorts. But to each his own man.

How many other guitar players mentioned in this thread have been immortalized as action figures?

7 Likes

That’s hilarious man. I had a Satriani phase but then I discovered SRV, Greg Howe, MVP and Tribal Tech soon after. There was little connection. Not to mention Malmsteen, etc…

Or since we’ve been studying his technique - Anton Oparin.

Here’s something fun, two Russians that could play Paul Gilbert as young teenagers

Max Ostro:

2 Likes

Ah yes I actually intentionally avoided mentioning him just because of recent history on here. Definitely though. His picking is insane. Not sure if anyone else mentioned on here can play some of the things that seem casual to him (like 1nps 16ths at 180bpm).

2 Likes

Gotta agree to disagree - easily one of my favorites. And, I mean, this is a thread about Satriani, specifically what he thinks about the next generation of players. Odd place to call him "mediocre.:

1 Like

Hopefully everyone learned their lesson since that thread has been going much more smoothly lol - and he’s a great example as someone who built upon PG’s technique adding his own escapes

1 Like

Yeah Drew, the irony, my apologies. Peace.