Articulating the 3-4 hammer on

thats one way to look at it. Another way is to say “is ANYONE (with similar hand size to me) showing great skill on 3-4 stuff. if they can do it, I can do it”

of the two alternatives, id say shifting over to 1-2-3 fingering is WAY more radical than just slightly and gradually increasing the workload and intensity of the 3-4 stuff

and did someone mention tone? obviously tone/distortion etc matters a huge amount. I mean with a modern high gain setup its not like u have to slam down on the note.

also, what about the guys who do the legato thing where they dont pick ANYTHING. Surely they do some pretty strong 3-4 stuff and also of course getting plenty good tone from the pinky

1 Like

In a way I think you have exactly captured my dilemma - except I’m not sure which one of the two involves more work - so the topic has again a reason to exist thank you :slight_smile:

all for one lick too lol. Is that one note THAT important? lol Can it be refingered?

reminds me of the old story of the millipede and the other insect asked him how he could control all those legs at once. The millipede said “dunno, never thought about it”. Then he starting thinking about it and got so confused he never could walk again lol

1 Like

This is what I would do (and, occasionally, what I DO do, when I feel like finger strength and independence is lagging).

1 Like

haha hilariously I’ve injured myself badly in the past from not taking this advice BOTH with guitar playing AND exercise!

1 Like

Yup, same here! :rofl:

2 Likes

Some more advice from my side:

Use the minimum amount of force necessary.
Often when you think you are already very realxed and play with just the force that is necessery, it is still to tense.
Stop…take a deep breath and try to relax your whole body from head to toe. Then try again with a very light touch on the strings, tha always helps me.

Also the pull-off force is more difficult ( especially the pinky) when you have shorter fingers. What you can try is playing legato with just hammer-ons.
It is the way Allan Holdsworth was doing it most of the time. It takes some time to get used to, but you need less force and it sounds even more fluid once mastered.

Using a very low action with 009 strings will also help of course, but then you will have to pick and strum very light to avoid string rattle.

If non of this helps after months of practice…then just alternate pick :wink:

1 Like

…also, I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but the single best thing I ever did to even out my legato playing was start practicing legato unplugged. It’s sort of the anti-Holdsworth approach, because it helps you develop clearly articulated attacks on your pull offs and hit ons whereas his is more slurring everything into everything else… But, if you can get clear, defined attack out of an unplugged guitar for your legato playing, then you can get articulate legato lines out of ANY gain structure.

1 Like