Bass & trailing edge picking: my progression

I think its like most three finger grips where the index acts as support rather than grip. Keeping the pick from moving around too much

Didn’t see the links but I vaguely remember him holding it how you describe (middle finger mostly with index finger side support). I find myself doing the side support thing with the middle finger, so reversed!

You do it really well too. How would you describe the difference between leading n trailing?

@WhammyStarScream Hmm so some random pros / cons of trailing edge (from my perspective, some of these might be switched depending on personal preferences).

Pros:

• less “sticking” (I think garage spikes is what they’re calling it now)
  • sometimes feels more natural / second nature
  • I’ll have to experiment more, but I might be faster / more controlled with it

Cons:

• not the attack I want for rhythm playing
  • the attack can sound “washy”, like when Paul Gilbert describes very drastic edge picking
  • I have a harder time finding a tip / thickness / material combo that I like, I think those variables affect the feel more
  • I personally can’t stand it with thinner picks or picks with any give, playing on the wound strings feels like it catches all over the place

I might record some stuff with it on guitar and post some videos!

1 Like

@WhammyStarScream I posted a video!

Trying some slap stuff with a pick! I can feel the hate from the internet already… I threw in a random “shred” line for fun.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the 3 finger grip pretty consistently, as it allows me to really dig in hard. This clip I feel is more or less carried by the bass getting pounded, lol.

For single note fast stuff, the jury is still out.

Revisiting this unison line from earlier in the thread, the phone stopped recording for some reason but I think it was a good rep all the way through, lol:

Pretty much settled on 3 finger grip, feels more more secure all around and able to push out more power when needed.

I should probably learn the little “lead in” line as well, feels weird to not play it.

1 Like