Becoming a virtuoso

Andy? Yeah he was in danger danger and the. Later his solo stuff. He did some shreddy stuff with danger danger and then kind of mellowed a bit with his solo career.

Michael Lee firkins is another good player along those lines to check out. He was one of the last shrapnel guys and was done dirty as he was coming up in the early 90’s.

1 Like

You can learn to legato like them! You’re totally capable. Takes practice and work but very doable. I learnt legato some years ago. Took a while but got it to a pretty good level. Not as good as Satch or Vinnie Moore. But pretty passable. Get the odd compliment. So go for it if you want to! :slight_smile:

Also love Satch. Many speak of him in virtuoso terms.

1 Like

Getting into the opinion area. Which is perfectly viable. Just adds to the confusion surrounding what it is to be a virtuoso. I don’t like Andy Timmons. He’s obviously an amazing guitar player but I’ve never heard something he’s done that I’ve liked. Just melodically. His music does nothing for me. He’s certainly not a prodigy. But that has nothing to do with his writing. Is he a virtuoso? I think so.

This is the best guitar forum currently in my opinion, so why not chat shit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

“Resolution” is one of my desert island shred discs. Tone for days, feel for days, melody for days… and it’s easy to overlook just how GOOD his technique is. Can’t say enough about his playing.

3 Likes

Here’s him doing a kind of cool Nuno sounding thing:

2 Likes

Puppet show is also an insane track on this album. I love Andy. I already loved Danger Danger but his tone and phrasing on his solo records is amazing.

1 Like

I’ve never been able to get into Danger Danger I’m afraid - the guitar obviously isn’t the problem, it’s just… like, you take every last 80s hair metal cliche, dial it up to 11, and throw them all in at once. It’s just too much for me. :laughing:

His solo music, though… amazing stuff. And I had the good fortune to catch him in a clinic maybe a decade ago which was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen - he’s a walking encyclopedia of rock music and while talking and answering questions was just sort of ripping off little chord melody renditions of rock songs he was mentioning to make a point here and there, and it was just amazing seeing how effortlessly he was able to translate this stuff… much less just how he knew all this stuff in the first part.

1 Like