Beginner player - DSX elbow tremolo

Hi,

I started playing one year ago. This is me trying to go as fast as I can without experiencing significant stress.
What I’m irritated by, also during my normal phrasing, is when my pick really gets stuck. I feel this is slowing me down a lot and I can’t get rid of it unless I make a bigger motion.

2 Likes

Great start @steka ! I think this looks like elbow motion, hence DSX.

So the classic prescription in this case is to get started by practicing licks where you always change strings after a downstroke.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @tommo . Great, I’ll pick up this section in the primer then.
Regarding my hand: I can also flare out my fingers more and put my Ring and pinkie ob the Body, but then I tend to pick single notes on slower phrases more from my thumb.
It actually feels better and I can hit the right strings more reliably. But : when I move the pick through the string with my thumb, the result is a real chirpy sound.

For a beginner like myself, is it advisable to try and keep sticking to the same motion all the time, or “just so whatever gets the job done”?

I like this principle, but I would add: it should also feel comfortable!

I think you can have different techniques / hand positions for different tasks. If you have a look at some of your favourite players, there is a good chance that their hands will look slightly different depending on what they are playing.

Reminds of this thread about VH repositioning his guitar for the stretch at the beginning of the Ice Cream Man solo.

1 Like

Just a thought / consideration: do you always play with your watch on? I’m really cognizant of anything around my wrist when I play (or even just on my forearm between my arm and guitar, like long sleeves) since it makes it harder for me to feel good control while picking.

Yes, I ruin my guitars with it but it actually helps me glide up and down the guitar body a little

1 Like

Here’s the deal - I’m still confused.
Upwards pick slanting still feels really awkward, but it is what I can play fast best with.

Downwards pick slanting and anchoring my hand feels most comfortable
Yet still, when playing some lines, I can’t hit the strings

And here’s the simple man with the DSX motion

The motion that irritates me in particular is that I have this feeling of gliding up on the string rather than pushing through it, particularly that happens with the USX motion.
I believe that’s happening because I actually want to make a DSX motion but I’m set up for a USX with the pick slanted downwards and my hand really resting on the pinkie side.

DSX with flared out fingers actually feels quite good. Yet still I have this feeling, for example when playing simple man, that I can’t access all the strings easily.

I think this is due to the way I anchor my pinkie and my hand. To access the low e string, my pinkie is limiting that motion, and to access the high e my hand is limiting that.
However, when I let my hand “float” more, the inaccuracies increase significantly.

Can’t figure out what’s best.

I don’t think that intro to simple man is a good example of testing a motion if your goal is speed.
If you want to you can just stringhop it at that tempo.
I would suggest you to try yngwie sixes on 1 string using the motion with smoothest tremolo and then moving on to something like gilbert sixes (a lick that changes strings after downstrokes).

1 Like

Yngwie sixes with DSX must start on an upstroke.

2 Likes

What @gabrielthorn and @YngwieFan45 said :smiley:

To consolidate your elbow motion, you need to practice things that only have downstroke string changes, and where the speed is high enough that you can’t get away with inefficient motions.

The tunes you are demonstrating here don’t satisfy any of these requirements :wink:

Hey steka. You are getting stuck on that upstroke because you are pulling your pick to far inward toward the body of the guitar as you do it. It’s a natural motion that we have to be conscious of in order to correct and become second nature. It can happen with both USX and DSX picking actually. You have to make a deliberate effort on that upstroke to move away from the body of the guitar instead of pulling it in toward it. Try not to use too much of the pick and ensue your downstroke 1st point of contact is the bottom left edge of the pick, upstroke is the top right edge. A good way to learn the very fine line that’s involved with this is to put the pick on the bottom of the string and pull upward slightly at the slightest inward angle that does not allow the pick to release from the string. Experiment with the angle involved where you can continue to pull more on the string without it releasing vs the outward angle that releases it. Explore the upward and in/out angle at the very edge where one side of the angle retains the string and the other side releases. You will realize as we move our hand on the upstroke, we sometimes pull inward into the retention angle and the pick gets stuck. It’s an easy fix once we become conscious of this. Also - very important, pick depth is a huge part of this equation, be sure to monitor your pick depth and avoid getting too much pick into the strings. The key is to have a consistent low pick depth. If your angles are bad, high pick depth will exacerbate the problem greatly. Good luck!

1 Like