BPM goals to progress through the Pickslanting Primer?

I’m working on the Primer and see that the tablature has a BPM listed on it. The exercises I have done so far have all been 130 BPM.

I was able to work my way up to 130bpm sextuplets for the single string licks (excluding one or two with hard stretches) and am now on the descending 6s. This is a lot more slow going. I think my issue is where I move from the plain to the wound strings.

Should I just keep hammering the same exercises until they are up to the printed speed, or should I keep moving onto new topics and come back later too push the BPM? I’d I should move on, what’s a good BPM to hit before doing something new?

1 Like

I asked Troy something similar a few weeks ago and apparently the BPM markings are arbitrary. Troy didn’t use a click for recording and just played at whatever speed he felt was comfortable. Check my post history.

2 Likes

What I understood from @Troy’s material on motor learning (and recent discussions in here) is that variation is good, especially if you are trying to figure out / refine movements that aren’t working. So try not to get stuck on the same thing for hours (this may also help to prevent RSI).

Also, in “real life” playing you do encounter sequences of different movements one after the other, so it’s good to get used to that variation, and to develop the ability to switch quickly between different techniques / licks.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying I am actually good at applying these ideas in my practice… but I’m trying :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Arnold! As @guitarenthusiast says the tempos weren’t intended to mean anything - they’re just intended to be in the general ballpark of whatever I played. Some may be more accurate than others.

When it comes to learning motions, smoothness is what matters, and when you’re new and still learning the motion itself, you can usually only feel that when playing fast. Meaning, you start with the fastest you can play and make small adjustments to your form until you feel it “click” and become smooth. You can start to slow it down later to become more conscious of the motions and clean them up. This is how I think most people learn to play fast, i.e. by starting fast, finding the “click”, and then slowing it down. Teemu Mantysaari mentioned in our interview yesterday that this is how most of his students first grasp a particular picking motion he’s showing them.

So I wouldn’t do the “working up” to speed, I’d do the far more wordy “starting fast and smooth and working very slightly down to accuracy, while continuing to also make fast attempts to see if they also become more accurate over time”.

And as @tommo points out, random variation throughout this process keeps things fresh and gives your brain enough chances to do it right and to recognize what doing it right feels like.

2 Likes