Can anyone play this Yngwie lick?

One question on all this, or maybe one observation. It seems like you are comparing your raw solo’d track to Yngwie’s playing that is in a full mix. Have you ever gotten some of Yngwie’s isolated tracks? I would suspect more flaws in those.

Second, is it possible you are focusing too much on one thing? 1 to 2 hours at a time on just one lick sounds excessive to me. I can’t imagine Yngwie doing that, and I can’t imagine a virtuoso violinist doing that either.

And again, I have not cracked this myself. But if I have learned one thing from CtC it is that if something (motion, practice routine, overall approach etc) is not yielding the results we want…doing MORE of that thing is not likely to improve it.

2 Likes

Completely agree, learn a new motion that lets you do these things easily, that’s what I did :slight_smile:

1 Like

THIS statement right here is important I feel. Especially those of us who have playing for along, long time (practice maniacs, cult of the metronome etc etc)

2 Likes

It’s more like a plateau for me - I reach a certain amount of proficiency - say 95% accurate at 180-200 bpms - but then nothing seems to improve the error rate from there. So I do indeed try a large range of different approaches (escapes, motions, left hand position etc) , but the accuracy doesn’t clean up. The speed stays constant. And the error rate is very constant as well.

So an example would be if I got the where @Jacklr is currently at with this lick - I would be able to clean it up a bit, but not to 100%. (This has been an issue for me going back - when I was working on the high speed descending 4’s - I though I had sorted it out - but error rates continue to plague my playing).

Which is kind of the motivation behind this thread is to try and find out how to get stuff up to speed - like this 6’s example - and hit Yngwie accuracy.

I seem to have a default accuracy level of 90-95% on long runs - which is not terrible - but not as good as Yngwie’s accuracy. So that is why I am trying to see what could be the secret to Yngwie accuracy! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Turns out I can now play the pop tarts lick cleanly for all notes at 190-200 bpms (got 4 runs in a row!) - but yeah took a year to go from 95% to 100%. I know it’s too long - but I don’t know any other way.

1 Like