Can you recommend a good tube amp?

If you don’t mind using amp in a box pedals for your dirt the Roland JC 40 is really nice and its loud enough that you could play it at home and in a band. I almost wish it had a wattage selector it gets crazy loud for 40 watts. Solid state though.

Thought these sounded good.

I had a Laney LC15R that was awesome, real genuine tube distortion at any volume. And loud enough to keep up with with a band. Great master volume. I still have it; it’ needs some work. Has a decent loop too. The new cub super models seems to be an improved version.

Wow… these sound really good.

Update - I ended up buying the Marshall DSL5CR and am loving it. It has a nice crunchy tone even at super low volume levels, and can get loud enough for a small sized hall. Thanks everyone for your advice.

4 Likes

@superstrings that’s awesome man, I’ve always been tempted to get one. Record some clips!

Sweet, in my opinion, the DSL is one of Marshall’s best.

I agree Marshall’s DSL is the best I have in my arsenal!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I bought a Blackstar HT5 Mark II after searching for a new home amp. It even has a switch to go down to 0,5W from 5W, so the crunch breakup starts at room volume level with very direct dynamics and nice rich tone. I highly recommend that amp.

Check out the HT-5R MkII Little Amp, Big Sound YT video.

I really like my monoprice amp. Theres some reviews on youtube about it. With a dod250, and a compressor it is amazing value, true spring reverb you can actually mod for a bigger tank, has a series effects loops, and a built in attenuation. But I would say practice more on a classical, and switch to electric when you can really crank it up and not annoy others around.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

I’m going to second Frylock here - if the issue you’re having that’s making you look at tube amps isn’t anything to do with tone, but you’re just hearing more ewlectrical interference than you’d like, a tube amp isn’t the answer. You could try some sort of power conditioner or something, but I lived in a place with just weirdly background-noise-prone widing and there was nothing I ever found I could really do that hekped aside from just live with it.

Plenty of good tube amp options on the market, especially if you’re willing to go used, but I think you’re still going to have hum problems regardless of what you plug into.

Actually, I’m hearing way less electrical interference with this tube amp. I like its distorted sound at very low volumes as well. Overall, extremely happy with it so far!