Chasing the EJ tone

I wouldn’t say that it’s either of those. I’d say that it is that violin tone. At least for what I heard in the vid. I can hear what you’re saying but I have no clue what part causes what, just that it’s the combination of all of it. If you’re able to, I’d say get his preset. The only other thing it could be is touch and attack. Hell, maybe that’s it.

So, I’ve been organizing and cleaning up some presets on my Fractal and when I got to my EJ preset, I remembered this post. I’m getting something really nice and similar to the video you posted using Scene 6 on my preset and with the volume knob rolled off a bit. It gets closer when I use the tip, not the nails, of my fingers or just pick very light. There’s obviously a difference in tone, but I wouldn’t say one is better than the other because they both sound really good.

I don’t know if you have a Fractal, but the signal chain is: Tube Driver → 100W Plexi Jumped → Mono Tape Delay. I’m guessing that the drive and the delay could be swapped for something more attune to your guitar, like a Zen and a Memory Man (which AW recommends for EJ) but following other’s settings and presets, there’s plenty to work with.

That said, I’ve used Scene 6 quite often and though I love it, I didn’t do any experimenting with attack or volume knob until today. Since that appears to have gotten the tone closer to what’s in that vid, maybe this was just a long winded way of saying that varying the attack might help. Either way, I’m really enjoying it lol