Chris Brooks' "Viking Shred Guitar Suite" Course is now available!

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check the program out. I’ve heard of it before and i think its a cool addition to my volcano pack-based routines.

I hope this isn’t off-topic, but I sometimes wonder how Yngwie feels about the relatively popular “play like yngwie” genre within the guitar community.

I don’t mean that in the sense that he could feel exploited or anything, of course. Rather, i wonder if he might decide to be a part of it at some point. Being more interactive instead of just the object of discussion.

I think he was always one of the most “studied” guitarists but his relative absence used to be less mysterious pre-cracking the code. Back then most of the “Yngwie educational material” just wasn’t very good. “Here are the tabs, now play it. Oh and protip: stay relaxed”
That was about the quality Yngwie could offer in his own products, he had no incentive to change anything.

But more modern material shows that cooperation between educators and artists is the more fruitful.
I cant be sure but i suspect Yngwie is not sitting somewhere in an 80s-guitarhero-bubble of crystallized hairspray - he has probably noticed that something has changed in the understanding of shredding. And that people are offering better material than there used to be.

There are reasons to believe that his technique may not have been as completely intuitive as he always suggested and maaaaybe he intentionally didnt explain everything as clearly as he could have. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he himself had learned a lot about his technique from these new videos, especially ctc. So he simply no longer has any incentive not to cooperate, because he himself doesn’t seem to be interested in releasing products at this pedagogical level and he no longer has any “secrets” to hide, if that was ever a motive.

I get that the man is really oldschool and believes in the larger-than-live distant guitargod myth. Like he doesnt post his breakfast on instagram or something (otherwise someone might deduce the secret of his picking technique from his bun-smearing motion). But i dont know if thats a reason he makes himself a bit rare?

I don’t mind a bit of eccentricity and I think he’s earned it. But personally, I’d be happy if he gave himself a jolt in his old age and cooperated a bit more with the teachers.

Maybe a naive hope, idk, i am not in the business or anything ^^ .

1 Like

@ 4:10… “No teaching video!!” Alot of bucks bubba!!

We know he’s gone on to make a few videos since then. I"m sure he’s been well paid.

Great playing in this video. His two-hand tapping ideas are really cool!

1 Like

Thats a cool video.

"100 grand upfront for me to show produces neoclassical shredding noises " :grin:

I guess while he was maybe (half?)-joking there the reason might very well just be that he is super expensive. Might even be a reasonable business decision of his, though i doubt it. You dont need yngwie to learn yngwies playing and it would help promote his music, since many or most of the people who listen to him are guitarplayers anyways.

You have to remember at that time, no one had a clue what he was doing. The best rock players in the world were confounded by him. I don’t think he was being facetious when he said how much money he was being offered at the time.

He’s in Japan here. They went insane for him there. The “play loud” lesson series he did is excellent.

2 Likes