Critique my USX!

If you can, have another look at the videos we discussed and let me know if you see the same things that I see, I’d like to know what you think!

Also, do you have a way to film with higher framerate (60fps or even 120), and possibly with more light directed to the “picking area”? It may help us confirm what we think is happening!

Now that you pointed it out slowing the video to 0.25 I can see the DBX seeking in from time to time but I would have never seen it by myself.
I also don’t see it when I am playing.
I’ve been playing a bit with the gypsy form and it definitely feels different when performing the same phrases. So I guess that my only option for somewhat efficient USX so far is gypsy form. I also got some moments while using it when 5s pattern went pretty fuild, so that’s great.

Unfortunately I don’t have gear that would do that for now so I think that it’s impossible, maybe I will find some way to get it somehow in the future.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with the motion for fair amount of time by now and I think It’s on the same speed level as my “DBX” thing that I had going on at the beginning.
Here are some examples:

I think that pentatonic sixes are played on pretty much the same speed as it was with previous motion. I checked in YT slow motion and I don’t personally see any circular pickstrokes, so that’s pretty great :slight_smile:.
The 5s go a little smoother but it’s still not there yet. I believe more practice will solve this? Or maybe practicing just the speed of the sweep?
Let me know what you think!

Some time ago i tried to “flatten” my form enough to make it more Eric Johnson alike while still having this USX feel that i had while playing with gypsy form.
I also practiced a lot of 2 string sweeps, just the part that was troubling me the most in fives pattern, and now it feels way better.
Here are some noodles using that form:

To me it looks like USX but I don’t even know anymore :frowning:.
What do you think?

1 Like

Yes, my first impression (from slowing down 0.25x on YT) is quite USX-y :slight_smile:

It also looks like you changed your pick grip so that you now have a pronounced “downward slant”, which probably helps smoothening the sweeps.

In any case, the only important thing is that it sound good, and that you seem to find it comfortable! Great job!

1 Like