Critiquing techniques vs critiquing people: what speech is permissible?

For me, nothing. I just re read it. I did cringe when I first saw it, only because I felt like history was going to repeat itself. I don’t think posts like that are a problem. It’s more the reaction they can cause where the wounds are fresh.

EDIT: sorry @Troy you probably weren’t asking me directly lol! Probably meant that for @Frylock

This right here. That was the real problem

1 Like

That’s totally fine, I was asking everyone. I want all the datas.

I would think if you put some type of security in place on new accounts that it might help, and for paying customers just give then access straight away. But maybe locking free accounts to a new members area for a week or even a few days it might help cut down on spam account creation, make it easier to forum clean, as well as help the person chill out for a day to kind of chill about it. But I am sure this isnt easy to implement, and could be more trouble than it is worth.

This could also drive up account creation for use later under another account. Which would require some sort of cleaning of unused accounts after a certain period of inactivity, or a revert back to new account status to reset it into the wait the few days before you can post state.

I think pretty much everyone saying something negative initially hit on a particular thing – the dogmatic “one true way” style, or something related – and then elaborated about other, unrelated, things entirely: musicality, tone, etc.

The specific reply in question mixed the first in with the others so heavily it’s hard to extricate them, but the “he sounds bad and robotic” and “does he have any original music?” I would find objectionable. It’s not our business to judge whether someone’s picking is too consistent, and I think it’s completely irrelevant whether great pickers have famous albums.

If it were my forum I’d be mostly OK with that post. If I were going to take issue with it, I’d say the latter part of the second paragraph turns into a bit of a nasty “call for dick measurement”.

To be fair about how hard moderation is, if a post like that weren’t coming in the wake of the previous storm, it might seem less problematic. As you say, more of an edge case compared to some of the more obvious “guns blazing” stuff.

In the enforcement scheme I suggested, if you decide the post crossed the line, the poster is still getting a “mulligan” before they have to worry about suspension.

Another thing that makes things difficult is age and internet norms. Decades ago (choking on my coffee), there was common internet etiquette advice to lurk on a forum for a period to get a broad sense of the room before you started posting. That’s less the norm now, and probably would be off-putting to most younger prospective community members.

4 Likes

See, I also would take issue with the way the bit about “original music” came across.

But while we see “robotic” as negative, I think the way it was posed was fair game. The actual phrase was “often sounds robotic to me” (the word “bad” doesn’t actually appear anywhere in the post). Poster didn’t say “is robotic” as an absolute. And compared to something reductive like “you suck”, “often sounds robotic to me” is more conducive to rebuttal, elaboration, examples, counterexamples, and even debate over whether sounding “robotic” is necessarily a bad thing. But again, that’s how I’d rule on that part if it was my forum. As you said, that post has a mix. In a case like that, I think it makes sense for the mods to give feedback on parts of a post that are problematic.

2 Likes

I think we’re talking at cross purposes here, because I take issue with that too!

Fair point re: “bad.” I should have been a bit more careful re-reading the post.

In saying “I also would take issue”, I meant “I see it too”, not “in addition to what you found”. :smiley:

I need more coffee. :joy:

1 Like

Hey guys, sorry if my post crossed any lines. I think it was a little over the top and emotional etc and maybe I was a little too aggressive with posting that. I guess though maybe on the positive side it’s led to this thread for discussion about moderation etc.

What happened was, I came upon the Anton thread (was there another one) and I was trying to get a sense of it but it was very long. And when I would try to scroll down, instead of finding a bottom, the scroll bar would just climb back up. It seemed endless. Meanwhile at various points I’d read a post or two, some positive, some negative and some negative/positive double downers. While taking this in, I watched that very long video. I’ve seen Anton before but it’s been a while. He’s older now. So i just kinda got ticked with some of the critiques offered and it just rubbed me the wrong way overall. So I was having some coffee and just posted whatever with 10 edits and links and that’s my bad.

Again though, I apologize. I’m not going to post anything like that again.

5 Likes

I think I see where we agree. The “robotic” comment was likely only a problem in the context of the thread, whereas “where’s his original music” is just not a great look in general. (Side note: his original music’s on his Youtube channel)

“I’m not a fan of this person’s music because X” is unobjectionable in general, though it’s rare that I think it’s necessary to bring up.

1 Like

Thank you. This is appreciated, and don’t worry about it.

As @Frylock points out, it’s about the spirit. I’m going to name my new hardcore band “Sanctuary For Assholes”.

4 Likes

It can’t be fun becoming the temporary focus of a controversy you didn’t even start, lol. I’m just glad your followup wasn’t “screw all you guys!” :wink:

2 Likes

This is a good suggestion. The forum actually does have stuff like this and I believe they are already in place. I’m fairly sure it doesn’t let you post stuff right away, and if you do that too quickly, it will lock you out. We’ve seen this happen.

It could be that these parameters are configurable. Specifically:

There may be a way we can tweak parameters to enforce a reading period, or lengthen one that’s already there. We’ll look into it. Calling @tommo on this one to check out the settings and see what we’ve got.

@Troy what about enforcing the first post be an intro post on top of a lurking period, so you have to kind of state some things about yourself and background which also forces some engagement with the community isolated from any particular issue?

You know I would say I would leave that up to you Troy. You were told to get lost in the other forum, and it likely helped fuel your drive to create this site to help pretty much all players understand the manuevers used to play some of the phrases they do.

Now if someone comes on here trying to downplay the spirit of this site coming off as a my universal technique can cover everything here this site is worthless that is sort of an attack on your philosophy if I am reading things right. So you have to tread carefully, but it is up to you on which way you decide to accept things.

Great idea. I don’t think that would stop the burners, because someone who is here to troll is just going to write a troll intro and proceed to the trolling. But I think that’s a great idea to set the tone for people who have a more constructive intent. We’ll look into it.

1 Like

Getting trolled at the Gear Page had nothing to do with creating this site. That happened like last year or something.

In general, let’s stop bringing this back to the ideas in the other thread. I don’t really care what was said in the video or if people came here to promote it. Someone is welcome to bring any idea here, even if that idea is that they think there is a reason for someone to learn a single method for playing guitar. It’s more about being evidence-based in your methods and respectful in your presentation.

3 Likes

I was thinking going about it this way. The site already has that in the “code”, just isn’t being utilized (as far as I know). I think it’s called “trust level”. I know because I was informed I got to “regular” status but no idea what that actually did lol.