Cross Picking String Hopping

Hi guys I am new to the forum so go easy if this has been discussed. I have the Volcano and Antigravity Seminars so understand DWPS and 2 way pick slanting. I watched the crosspicking video @Troy posted on cross picking (one with no chatting). I can’t get my head around the difference in string hopping to cross picking? Is there something I am missing? Is there a different video you guys have all watched. I understand the motion for string hoping is like knocking a door. How does cross picking differ?

How do you delete a post? I think this is covered in the cross picking topic about the Albert lee curve.

Hey, welcome to the forum! We don’t have a lot of solid crosspicking tutorial material yet, but there is a lot of relevant discussion here on the forum, so first thing I’d suggest is doing a search and reading through to catch up on some previous discussions:

Quick answer to your question is that stringhopping = inefficient motion, when the muscle chain across consecutive notes does not alternate, e.g. the “door knocking” motion requires wrist flexion/extension to be repeated for each consecutive note played. Whereas for crosspicking, consecutive notes will use different combinations of muscle movements. Pretty good explanation here too!

2 Likes

Ah okay glad you found that! Finished writing my reply before seeing the above :slight_smile: No problem to leave this topic up for now, may be useful as reference. If you prefer I can delete it just let me know.

1 Like

Hi Brendan thank you for your response and link to chapters 3-5 as the other topic only pointed to chapter 4. I am happy to leave this here as it may help others to quickly see what the difference is without having to read the full previous topic. I will however go and read up as it looks very interesting and might help me with a troublesome 3 string hop I have encountered in learning flight of the bumblebee.

2 Likes

I think it’s very likely that I was once a hybrid, “stringhopping crosspicker.” :slight_smile: @Troy is responsible for convincing me to not throw out the alternate picking chops I’d already developed. I’m thankful for that.