Would I be able to get some feedback from somewhere regarding my progress so far? I have been trying
- A more relaxed right arm position (resting on the top of the guitar)
- A more relaxed grip
- a smaller pick depth (that is one thing I noticed Molly/Andy Wood/@Troy/anyone! do when playing fast
- the 9-0-2 picking motion with no forearm rotation.
Here is my latest go:
I think it’s closer - but i do notice minimal forearm rotation - AAARRGH I can’t get rid of this. Is it ok as it is?
Also - if this motion is ok, then how do I go from here, this tempo is ok for me, but when I try to go at 80bpm, 90bpm, 100bpm (16th notes), then it just feels like
- the strings put up a lot more resistance, making me pick harder, and tense up
- the harder I pick, the more my forearm rotates - causing me to miss the string/pick the wrong string.
I know @Troy, you said that learning a new motion at high tempos is harder due to muscle memory issues, but is building speed like this just trial and error, or just more an organic thing? I feel like building it with the metronome just isn’t working - although you have said to not really use it, so I do apologize if am repeating myself/making the same mistakes you told me to avoid! .
So in a nutshell - does this motion still need refining, and if not, what is the best thing for me to do to get it up to 130bpm in 16th notes?