Descending problems. How are YOU picking descending scales?

Old thread that I’ll jump into as well:

I think a “helper motion” goes a long way in my playing. When I only focus on wrist picking, I feel like some things are pretty impossible. I always felt I had some degree of finger movement that I’m now trying to highlight, and it feels like it does when I play harder stuff and I don’t take note of what I’m doing.

Long story short, I strict alternate pick scales and use finger motion to move around escape issues (I think).

Yeah dude I was borderline obsessed with Andy Wood for a while and was determined to pick everything no matter what :joy: but I’ve still never really been able to get a grasp on picking from the wrist; I’m more of a forearm rotation/elbow guy. While (in all modesty) CtC has helped me get to the point where I can alternate pick pretty much whatever I want at a reasonable speed for a lot of phrases it feels like I’m trying to jump through more hoops unnecessarily just because I can - I’m not trying to go out of my way to play licks in the most difficult way possible anymore. In a live situation I personally am never going to go for shredding down a 3nps scale … despite spending dozens of hours mindlessly practicing it so it was a big step ego wise to let that go and focus on what works and feels good.

All that said, if you just wanna be able to play something a certain way just because - there’s nothing wrong with that either. I just think some of us create more problems than solutions by trying to be too strict technique wise and turning making music into more of a circus act skill for the sake of it lol.