Difficulty with 2nps patterns

If I use a technique like this which for USX, when I play with a more reverse-dart thrower type form for DSX and DBX type motions, will I have problems switching between the reverse-dart thrower and wrist-forearm at higher speeds, or will I eventually get used to having 2 different ways of playing different lines that I wont need to think about switching between them, even at high speeds?

The reason I ask is because I am looking a the wrist-forearm motion on the primer at the moment, but I was wondering if I should pursue a wrist motion USX technique if I already seem to use a wrist motion for other escapes?

Try not to overthink things. There is no guarantee anyone will learn any particular technique, even with teaching, so the fastest route is always to try all techniques and use whichever one produces the best results.

3 Likes

try playing pentatonic but play 3 notes on first string then go to next one. If done this way it will be a 4 note sequence that overlaps some but you will be doing 2 finger shapes. Or do 3 notes first string then 2 on next string then switch then it’ll be a 6 note group if you do it right then you can repeat the phrase on the lower strings. this will make the starting on an upstroke seem less obvious. Sometimes psychology has alot to do with it I feel. like your mind wants down but you should use ups. Just my two cents. This works ascending and descending. The first sequence will be DUD then U then do DUD again then U on next string and repeat. the 6s would be DUD then UD then U then do DUD again on same string. The 4 I usually start on first finger and the 6 I start on the pinky so it works it self out. I forgot to mention this works pretty good with 2 string 7th arps to since those are more pentatonic like.