Do we actually even KNOW how to get faster?

Not exactely. If your natural muscle speed is higher you can learn to play scales etc faster (with enough practice) then someone with a less higher muscle speed.
It all comes down to practice the right way and how determined you are to use your natural muscle speed to play things at that max speed.

What i mean is, that although your natural max muscle speed maybe higher then someone elses, if that person hast more determination and a better practice routine he can stiil outplay you on speed.

And this is al my personal view based on my personal experience. I am not saying i am right.

1 Like

Your personal view makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for explaining it.

1 Like

nice replies and fascinating subject

1 Like

I remember Batio saying about him practicing 1000 repetitions of some passage. I mean hell if you are such determined you just must get some results. Though not many guys are ready to practice that way. I’m definitely not )

the funny thing about that is…1000 reps isnt all THAT much lol

if you take a nice short repeating riff, it might take 2 seconds to do the riff. thats 30x per minute. 33 minutes of that is about a 1000

I understand his point though, he sat there and did those reps forever etc

1 Like

Here are my thoughts, about to head to work so can’t really elaborate but I think these are my best efforts on the topic in question. Worth a read given the positive reception:

I have been so busy but for a long time I have been compiling my thoughts on this matter. I don’t think the answer is particularly nuanced or even interesting. Building speed is fairly simple, “boring”, and predictable in the routine, it’s just the matter of trusting the process that so many guitar players, for whatever reason, tend to doubt.

Oh and what Troy said on the matter is near 100% correct in my opinion. I don’t think you get faster, you get more efficient and extremely reliable. The speed is inborn barring congenital disorders, mental or otherwise, and it’s a matter of fleshing it out.

2 Likes

True, but he didn’t just get “some results.” He got spectacular results. Someone else could do the same thing and just get good but not great results because of having less aptitude for guitar playing. The work ethic is something anyone can develop though. As long as one doesn’t have extremely low aptitude for learning to play guitar, work ethic is what separates the guys who become good and those who become great. That’s my current opinion on the subject anyway.

For me, that’s going back to what my former guitar teacher, Dallas Perkins, told me one day. I’m putting the following in quotes but this is from 1988, so I probably don’t have it word for word. I do recall the gist of it: “I think most people have an average amount of ability - an amount of ability that will allow them to accomplish just about whatever they want to accomplish as long as they put in the work. Then there are just a few people who I’d compare to geniuses who learn incredibly fast and just a few people who are basically musically retarded - unable to learn.”

If we just suppose that we’re in the big middle range, our work ethic and our passion for music will determine how good we get.

I also have a quote from Michael Angelo Batio: “Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice does.”

This is basically a high intensity interval training approach to guitar… And, at least in high performance endurance sports (competitive cycling, running, triathlons, the like), this is considered a fairly effective approach of maximizing gains from limited training time. It’s usually paired with some amount of lower intensity “base training,” and I think in that mindset it makes sense to combine your approach with occasional incremental practice sessions as well, as they likely help build picking endurance better than an interval approach like this, but it seems to me that your approach should be effective (and, I mean, I’ve heard you play, lol).

Speaking purely anecdotally… As a cyclist, I got a LOT faster when I started picking “sprint” Strava segments and chasing the KOM time on them. Not just in pure sprinting ability, but my overal average pace started to kick up materially when I began doing the occasional quarter mile to mile max effort sprints, and just totally gunning it on a stretch of road.

Only thing I’ll add to your approach is I’ve had some success with “overshooting,” when I’m struggling with a tempo, putting the metronome quite a bit higher at a tempo I know I can’t pull a drill off, and then flailing around like mad trying to. :rofl: Then, when I set the metronome back to where I was trying previously, suddenly by comparison it seems a lot easier. This is kind of the antithesis of “slowly increasing speed,” but it seems to work.

I understand what you are saying, but this “boring” routine you allude to can be 1000 different things for 1000 different players. Some guys put in 2 years of practice and they are shredding nicely, others not so much. (regardless of fast twitch capabilities)

I guess in the end though its a lot of hair splitting. If a person has decent speed capability and they are spending quality time practicing and they arent making TOO many errors, then they should end up pretty good.

My thing is, there is a VAST amount of stuff one might want to be great at:

scales and fragments (endless subject in itself)
pedal point stuff
sweeping (endless)
2nps stuff (to me,entirely different than 3 or 4nps stuff)
tapping
interesting harmonic content

in the end we have a finite number of hours to practice. Im “lucky” in that Im single with no kids and I only work 4x per week. So there is tie to practice. That being said, I want the most bang for the buck

That is what this other thread was about: Is there a master list of skills for picking?

I want to practice the stuff that has the greatest carryover to other stuff as opposed to spending many hours on some white elephant lick that has no carryover.

But even within that, is still HOW to go for that gradual speed improvement

I know in strength sports (probably endurance too) one doesnt simply go to the gym and max out every day lol. if there is a powerlifting meet in Sept one might start specifically training 10 weeks out and he builds to make his strength peak on that day

I understand guitar isnt exactly like that but one still wonders the best way to approach it. If my max speed on a lick is, say, a sloppy 200bpm, maybe I can do it smoothly at 188 but even then I cant last forever on it lol…it starts to get sloppy as I tire. in that case should one spend a ton of time “building a base” at 160 etc. Then as time passes one moves that base point up to 170 and he has almost guaranteed his peak speed capability will have increased too.

That is sort of how strength sports work so I am interested to know if guitar is in any way similar.

Something in me rebels at the notion that we have a certain preset speed limit. Yes I agree in theory but the problem is WE DONT KNOW WHAT THAT LIMIT IS!! lol People get stuck benching a certain weight for years and they r told they have reached their limit. Then they find some technique or mechanical thing or method and next thing you know they pass their “limit”

for me specifically, moving my fingers fast is generally NOT going to be part of my problem lol. The problem is more like having a wide enough repertoire of licks and abilities etc to where I can improvise freely without being massively sloppy.

Ive spent most of my time just on scales and fragments and some sequences etc but now I want to add sweeping and stuff like the Yngwie style 2 string arps and some nice pedal point stuff

So maybe I shouldnt really be saying im curious about SPEED (its confusing). I dunno, I guess its confusing for me because my abilities are sort of at various levels. I feel i am at pro level on some stuff, but then I go to do fast 2nps pent stuff and all of a sudden im a newb and am wondering why my fingers dont want to go faster lol

Specifically I think what I have done is build speed on licks that DONT move around a lot. if I stay in sort of one spot maybe on 2 strings I can wail pretty good. But the problem comes in when I have to start moving positions rapidly etc. Im not as well trained at that

So even just thinking out loud I start to narrow the problem down some

Of course the muscles are getting tired when having to do fast motion for a longer period. Trying to relax as much as possible is the key to get a faster motion going on for a longer period. But, to get that superfast motion going on you need to tense up a bit. Take for instance al di Meola. When he goes into that superfast runs from high to low E uses a different motion. He tenses up and uses more forearm motion and i see that with lots of players.
This of course will take more energy from the muscles.

DiMeola uses forearm motion for his fastest runs? So he uses his elbow? Or do you mean forearm rotation? I’ve seen him in concert once about 20 years ago, but I never noticed that he uses either forearm rotation or elbow. Or I forgot it. I remember reading interviews with him where he says he uses wrist exclusively. When asked what he thinks about players who use their elbow when picking he said “They usually sound as bad as they look.”

Al DiMeola has some very strong opinions doesn’t he?

You know sometimes progress stalls for a while and your playing just sort of stays the same…until one day you notice improvement and when this happens sometimes the improvement is huge. Progress isn’t perfectly linear. It doesn’t just increase at a steady rate. I have a feeling you might be at a plateau now and about to start noticing some big improvement in the fast 2nps fast pentatonic licks :slight_smile:

1 Like

kind of a given because I only just started working on them. Like ive said many times. ive never had 5 cents worth of focus lol

1 Like

This is what i mean.
From about 1:30 he starts with wrist/forearm movement then he builds up and then he goes into hyperspeed and changes to ellbow motion.
So, yes i meant elbow.

2 Likes

I think the issue here is what people mean by “speed”. We get tons of forum posts and emails about people saying “I can’t play fast”. But when you start digging, we continually find no evidence of any of these players actually lacking hand speed. Ask them to tap on a table - all of a sudden, they are fast enough to play just about anything in the shred zone, which let’s call it loosely 160-200bpm range, give or take.

When I ran track and cross country, just as you’ve experienced, I had to train at consistently high levels of aerobic failure to maintain peak form. For reference, my best mile was 4:56 and my best 5k was 17:40, which was three miles back to back at about 5:50. My best marathon was about 3:15 so a little over 7 minutes 26 times in a row. No way I can touch any of those times now. Even at the time, if I were to take a couple months off it would all evaporate. But on, let’s say, piano, for example, since it’s an instrument I play infrequently these days, I can go without playing for months on end, and my ability to play fast lines does not change.

So I think when it comes to athletic style exertion, getting into the “shred” zone of 160bpm to 200bpm just doesn’t require it. It’s a coordination thing and if there’s a building up period, I think it happens quickly and early and then isn’t needed again. After that point, everyone who thinks they need to build up to speed is getting confused between hand speed and coordination.

I’m totally willing to be wrong on this! But this is what the observations we’re all making seem to point to so far.

Overshoot from what, a hand speed perspective or a cleanliness / accuracy perspective? Again this is the question I feel like I’m always asking in these conversations.

5 Likes

the comeback for that is the ever classic “you know what i mean” lol

has anyone ever seen a rank beginner flailing away sloppliy and said “wow, dude is fast”?

You’re probably kidding but I see this all the time! In fact, Brendan on our team has some very fast elbow picking abilities when he’s tooling around on the instruments we have in the office, but isn’t really a guitarist per se — although at some point if he keeps at it I’ll probably have to stop characterizing him that way.

More generally, there are clips that get posted here where the accuracy isn’t up to scratch but the motions are fast. These aren’t usually beginners, but it’s the same idea.

1 Like

Damn, a 4:56 mile? I’m impressed! :open_mouth: I didn’t know you were ever into sports. I was very into weight training in high school and there was a gym class we weight trainers took where we’d lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday and run a few miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is relevant to the point I’m about to make.

You say that at the time, if you were to take a couple months off it would all evaporate. Well, I had a double bodyweight bench press in my senior year of college and just like your running, if I took several months off from training, my max lifts would drop considerably. Here’s where it correlates to guitar playing: If I had taken a few months off, and say my bench press max dropped by 50 pounds, I could have regained my max lift in probably 3 or 4 weeks of training. This is what we weight trainers refer to as “muscle memory.” It’s as if the muscles remember being stronger and they are able to get back to where they used to be much more quickly than people would be likely to think.

The principle of muscle memory states that it is much easier and quicker to regain strength you had before than to build a level of strength you never had before. I bet that you would go from your 6 minute mile back to the 4:56 mile a hell of a lot more quickly than it originally took you to improve from 6:00 to 4:56.

This relates to guitar playing in that if you were to take several months off from playing, and you found yourself unable to play faster than running scales in 16th notes at 170bpm, you’d get back to your previous maximum tempo of playing scales in only a tiny fraction of the time it originally took you to go from playing scales in 16th at 170bpm to whatever the maximum tempo is at which you can play scales in 16th notes.

Regarding building speed vs. coordination, speed alone without coordination is unimpressive but by the same token, coordination without speed is unimpressive. It’s developing the ability to play fast and coordinated that people seem to be referring to in some of the posts in this thread without knowing for sure quite how to state it. They can all play fast and sloppy… They can all play slow and clean. It’s doing both at once that they’re referring to when they ask “How do I get faster.”

1 Like

Yes,
This is where I am now.
How to play fast and clean.

Im working on sanitarium and the
Last part of the solo has a single string run that is very fast.

Picking speed is not the issue
Its my left hand.

Im addressing it like most other stuff.

1 play it super slowly until I have it memorized.

2 try to play it slowly but in time

3 try it faster a few times

4 go back to slower but as fast as I can cleanly

Then try to go way faster

Etc…

For me this approach works
But some things still take a long time.

Another thing besides right hand left hand sync for me is targeting

What I mean is if you are traveling up the neck on an em single scale in trips. Deciding which note to target for landing in the next position.
Hard to explain but but until I have that nailed down I cant expect to sync up because my brain is still unsure of what we are doing and starts calculating again.

2 Likes

I take that as a given lol. I hope next we all wont be splitting hairs between “fast” and “quick” lol. Fast and sloppy doesnt count for much

The muscle memory thing. To me that could be huge for guitarists wanting to build their repertoire or add totally new skills.

Lets say I am already solid on 3np scales but im a newb on sweep arps. Fine, I can go into some serious sweep practice and maybe only do some tiny amount of 3nps stuff to maintain some ability there. Knowing that whatever I “lose” in 3nps skill will quickly come back with some refocus

In that regard I think we could start to think about Soviet style year long programs that have different phases. We maintain one or more skills with minimal time while we deeply focus on other skills

Im preaching to myself here mainly. With a program or even a vague plan we have a chance to show solid improvement if we have this conversation next year. Whereas if we just drift and do whatever, maybe we wont make any actual progress. maybe we even regress