Do you ever get the FEELZ?

RIP is like a frozen Digiorno Pizza, it’s good. Countdown to Extinction is like fresh “made to order” pizza tone.

1 Like

:grin: so do you prefer CtE’s tone over RIP? I think RIP is possibly the best Megadeth has ever sounded.

1 Like

about the guy who feels things about individual notes… nope, doesn’t happen for me, but I’m glad it does for you. Perhaps it will inform your compositional process.

Megadeth: I love the playing on RIP but prefer the tones on Countdown. I love Marty’s tone on Youthanasia, but don’t like the rhythm sounds at all. Things get decidedly fizzy on that album that sounds like a mix tape… Cryptic Writings. Then it’s Risk… no comment, except maybe to yell “Crush 'em!” in a sarcastic manner. :slight_smile:

I love the current line up! Kiko Oleiro is awesome… his playing has real personality, reminiscent of Poland and Friedman, and I love the solidity of Dirk Verbeuren’s drumming.

While I could definitely appreciate Chris Broderick’s amazing chops, I couldn’t pick him out of a line up of other shredders like Jeff Loomis, Keith Marrow, etc. Kiko has his own style.

CTE and RIP are the best Megadeth albums.

RIP songs are a little more badass
CTE is almost as badass, with better production/sound

:bear::pizza::pizza:

@BlindGuitarist Look man. The notes have qualities that differentiate them from each other. If you say they don’t. You don’t have perfect pitch. You have relative pitch.

Cheers

Nope, usually I have no such sensations about guitar playing at all. It works more with physical activity, like pullups or pushups: usually people (and me too) feel if exercises would go smooth or rough.

Rick Beato (nice guy from youtube) says that absolute pitch is possible to develop only in early childhood (first 3-5 years). After that, if you still don’t have it, you wouldn’t get it whatever exercises you do.
I have relative pitch only and I can’t even imagine how these wonder-guys distinguish separate notes? What does it feel like?
Adam Neely (another guy from youtube) claims that he has synesthesia - he sees notes as colors. It’s even harder for me to understand.

yes, I watched that video. Adam is great. When I heard about that, it made me feel kind of like my food visions were something in the same realm as the colors.

so this morning, I got the FEELZ. thought, " I can rip it up real good!" picked up the guitar and then instantly had a mental disclaimer, “maybe I won’t be able to…” and sure enough, I stuttered all over the place :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Play all day. Play all day tomorrow. You should see improvement. If you are stuttering, play until you stop stuttering. right now. Don’t wait till tomorrow morning and hang the guitar up again because you stutter tomorrow.

Take short breaks to keep from straining your muscles. But play. When I do 3 or 4 hours a day, I’m a machine man. I see improvement 1000%

Here are Rick Grahams fingers. Do the math. :wink:

Later
:bear:

1 Like

this. this is my new goal! :grinning:

1 Like

Well, it should help @uglijimus everyone who is real good plays a lot. I don’t know what else to say to help ya.

:bear:

sometimes you need to hear just the most basic things to confirm what you already know \m/:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: \m/

thanks

1 Like

You need to give yourself an easy win every time you pick up the guitar, don’t go straight in to playing whatever you’re working on and struggling with. Get some songs or riffs that you can absolutely nail and make you feel awesome when you play them and rip one or two of those out first before you start on the hard work*.

*Just be wary of having so much fun that you don’t get on to the hard work - but it’s all playing, so it’s all work.

3 Likes

I certainly understand that, but it’s my goal. I can play it usually pretty well after 5 min of warm up, but I want to be able to play it right away. there are days when I can and that’s what I need to figure out. what is going on to get to those days. I’m going to try to pick it up every few hours and try it again with a cold hand and see what progress I make.

I don’t understand the need to play without warmup? Just warm-up and be happy!

This makes perfect sense to me

1 Like

About 10 years ago, I attended a MAB clinic and asked him about warm-ups and avoiding fatigue before a live performance. He stated that he has practiced so dilligently at trying to keep his picking motions consistent at all speeds, that he warms-up to ‘medium tempos’ (probably 180bpm for MAB lol), safe in the knowledge that the faster stuff will “be there”.

things have changed from 4 months ago. I usually can pick up the guitar at any time and play at about 75% of my ability unlike before where it was much lower. I never expected to play at 100% with cold hands, but just at a competent amount. I think it has to do with concentration technique due to this forum! I won’t say I’m happy, but getting satisfied!

2 Likes

I see. I suppose it also depends on what sort of style you play if you are a gigging musician. You may not need a warm-up to play a regular rock setlist, if they are all in your 75% - the first couple of songs would be your warmup. If however, your first number is a Racer x or Di Meola track, your screwed without warmup!

The issue I have with warmups before a gig is that if your warm up does not go well, you get on the stage already fearful and demoralised and if you don’t do a warmup and play terribly, you kick yourself for not warming up!! :persevere: