Do You Find Your Music Tastes Mellowing With Age?

Believe or it I’ve never used Instagram. I went to the page because your post made me curious as to what he was doing or saying there that inspired your post. They wanted me to “log in” but I didn’t feel like setting up an account. Is Instagram similar to Twitter? It seems that way…Is there someone here who wouldn’t mind briefly explaining the difference between Instagram and Twitter? Thank you!

So, my access was limited but I was still able to see a lot of it. I didn’t see any pictures or mentions of any types of cars but I did see the results of guitar polls…funny! Neil Schon finished ahead of Page, Clapton, Gilmour, Beck, Van Halen, Lane, Holdsworth, Rhoads…

How could this be? Neil is a great guitarist but he isn’t the best there has ever been! Not that I believe you can establish a “best guitarist.” I don’t hink you can. The objective criteria isn’t there. It’s subjective. It’s opinion. Then I found out this is a fan based poll so of course on Neil’s own Instagram page where they’re voting for favorite guitarist (not best guitarist) he would win!

He looks the same as he always did. That’s so cool. He doesn’t age! Also, any time period from the 80s onwards his look was always the same. His hair, his clothes remained the same, even during the shift from the 80s to 90s when style changed tremendously. He never had the 80s flashy image, and he never had the 90s almost homeless look either. In retrospect I think both were overdone but I respect the guys like Schon realized that at the time and who just kept on dressing get the same, getting the same haircut and didn’t give a damn about what the trend or style was and instead looked the way they wanted to look. Just jeans, a leather jacket and always the same hair. It could have been the 80s or 90s or even the 50s and he would fit in because not everyone in the 80s had overly stylized hair and wore spandex and not everyone in the 90s wore flannel and had greasy hair.

Regarding the huge difference in fashion between the 80s and 90s, whenever things go too far towards one extreme you can bet the next trend will go towards the opposite extreme. People have a habit of doing this in lots of things. It’s ether feast or famine. I prefer the look and music of the 70s over the 80s or 90s.

1 Like

I’ll be 49 tomorrow. Back in the 80s, Metallica and Maiden were about as heavy as I got. Screaming vocals turned me off and stuff like Slayer, Exodus, and heavier stuff was just noise.

Probably around 30 I started getting heavier tastes. Some metalcore, like KSE and stuff. Then Trivium, and Slipknot.

Around my mid-40s I started realizing that a lot of the time I preferred heavier stuff with harsh vocals. A lot of Periphery, some Lamb of God, stuff like that.

Still very little extreme or death metal. Maybe when I hit 50 next year.

Not really. It’s quite hard to quantify it, as I never restricted myself to one kind of music, I used to listen to a bit of Bruce Springsteen, Dire Straits etc. in my 20s, but I can’t listen to them anymore, I find this kind of music really cheesy for some reason (doesn’t change the fact that Mark Knopfler is a great guitarist).

I listen to bands like Wormed or Periphery and find the music really interesting. Tastes change.