Do you remember the very first thing you learned to play on guitar?

It’s what made it so easy to learn Slayer songs before tabs. No way in hell would I have been able to learn most of Megadeth’s songs and certain Metallica songs, but a lot Slayer’s earlier stuff was great for that. Plus they reused a lot of ideas. Like, if you know South Of Heaven’s intro, you know most of their cleaner and slower riffs lol

1 Like

Day 1 one smoke on the water, wrong. Next thing I learned was Paranoid. Then part of Number of the Beast. Pipeline, Sunshine of your Love, Green Manalishi (Priest version), Wipeout, Born to be Wild. Then I found Kill 'em All and learned Crazy Train and it was on from there.

2 Likes

Me too, I had to push my guitar teacher to show me Nirvana songs. They were the reason I picked up the guitar in the first place!

2 Likes

i feel so silly admitting this, but i bought a guitar for dummies book, and the two things i learned in it were bourree in e minor just the beginning part, not the second part. the other one in that dummies book was spanish romance… :smiley: although this wasn’t the first thing i learned on a guitar i would say this was the first two fingerstyle things i learned.

1 Like

The first thing I was ever taught was the acoustic intro to Stairway to Heaven.

My instructor said “Johnny B. Goode, Hotel California or Stairway to Heaven. Pick one and I’ll teach it to you one step at a time.”

Pretty sure I still have the original tabs/music notes around here somewhere…

1 Like

Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health”. Christ, I’m old. : )

3 Likes