Don't Buy The Magnet! Just Kidding... Sort Of

I did yes. The passport site has more information, the Irish An post site is a little behind (it always is :sweat_smile:)

I got an update too

20 characters

@Troy Iā€™m about to install the adapters on my kickstarter version of the magnet. I watched your video and didnā€™t see anything re: if we need to first wipe off the existing grips (screen cleaner soft cloth or something). Visually inspecting mine, thereā€™s just a slight amount of dust that doesnā€™t wipe off , but yours sort of looks like that too so maybe itā€™s ok

Maybe Iā€™m overthinking it but I just figured thereā€™s no turning back once I put the loctite on and I wanna make sure I donā€™t mess it up lol!

I havenā€™t noticed that being necessary. As long as thereā€™s not obviously large particulate stuff stuck on there, you should be good.

Before you do this, also note that we do have upgraded grips that go to the bottom so you can pry off the factory ones and just put those on. If you still want adapters on top of that, for extra grip, we also have updated adapters that match the updated grips, so both will go all the way to the bottom. Itā€™s really only cosmetic at that point but we can send these out to you if you want those instead.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks man! Iā€™ll give it a go with the materials Iā€™ve got and see what happens, so no need to send me anything at the moment. Itā€™s been solid to begin with, other than my Taylor, which has a fretboard that doesnā€™t come up past the body as high and I was getting occasional ā€œfalling offsā€ lol! Which I understand could be improved if I put on the adapters since theyā€™ll be level with the feet, plus the extra spring tension.

The bigger question is why tf I donā€™t use the magnet more in general. Each time itā€™s illuminating. Itā€™s always interesting to me how even still, what I ā€œthinkā€ Iā€™m doing turns out to be a little different than what the footage says. Thanks again for such a neat-o invention.

For acoustics with thin fretboards the best option is heel mounting. This is what I do on the Gibson LG2 which has a very thin fretboard, as shown here:

1 Like

Rightā€¦I know Iā€™ve watched that one I must have forgotten it though. The general issue with binge watching I have haha

Thanks again for the tips!

Just got mine and my first stab at filming something wasnā€™t too bad, although the iPhone is a bid slidey.

When I try and watch the Increasing Phone Grip video on iPhone or laptop (Safari/Chrome), I donā€™t get any audio (the other Magnet videos are fine). @Troy is there an issue with that one?

Nope itā€™s just a hands-on demonstration. We can add some background music or something if that clarifies! Personally, I havenā€™t needed to do that on the iPhones we have in the studio, itā€™s just something we can up with since others have reported some slideyness.

1 Like

Cheers, no mood music needed :laughing: I thought it looked like you were talking at the start of it, which is why I asked.

1 Like

I got mine and it seems to be really solid and exactly as advertised.
was Ā£63.31 shipped, no issues. Right to my door. :metal:

1 Like

Just following up to let you know that your acoustic mounting tip worked a treat. I did proceed with installing the adapters too. Thanks again!

1 Like

Itā€™s likely that you would make more money if you didnā€™t point out that some people probably shouldnā€™t buy it at this time. Makes it clear to me that that the desire to help people really is your core motivation. (How many programs of this type offer scholarships?)

So seriously, fair play to you.

2 Likes

Hello @Troy

I received my magnet a few weeks ago and have been trying to mess with it. I wanted to see if you have any suggestions as I canā€™t seem to make it work for me. When I try to clamp it on my strandberg with my note 10, the magnet just slides off and I canā€™t get it to hold.

TIA

Eddi

Hi Eddi!

I havenā€™t used a Strandberg, but from their web site it looks like they have a variety of models. Some of these look like they donā€™t have much of a neck heel.

The Magnet is designed to grasp the neck heel ā€” either above the body if thereā€™s enough neck elevation, or just before the body where the heel is thick on most guitars. This video, around 30 seconds, shows how to relocate the Magnet to the heel on guitars where thereā€™s not enough neck elevation above the body:

However, if thereā€™s no part of your guitar where thereā€™s a heel to grab, then thereā€™s nowhere to relocate the Magnet. In that case it may not work.

If thatā€™s the case, we can refund you, or you can keep it for use on guitars where you have enough wood to grab. Itā€™s not going to work on every instrument ā€” mandolins for example can be tricky unless thereā€™s an elevated fretboard, which some have. I consider it a specialty tool used for getting technique feedback thatā€™s not easily doable any other way, even if it means using a beater guitar for technique check.

But thatā€™s up to you. If you want to send it back just email us in support, weā€™ll take care of it.