Double Escape Thingy

Here is an example of how the strumming-like motion I talked about looks. This isn’t great cross picking by any means but I think it might be interesting to see different takes now that we’re talking about it. The thing with this style is that you don’t think of your hand as picking the individual strings, but more like picking “over” the strings in a side to side motion. It’s much more like the feeling of strumming but with the motion dialed in to hit the individual strings during the strumming motion.

This is my limit for “cleanish” playing as of now, if I go faster I loose control. But the important thing is that the hand can move much faster than this with this motion, so the potential for speed is there and that is a very important fact. Also, the motion is definitely not small and if I go faster the motion doesn’t get smaller, just faster. I’m not sure this is of interest to you but what the heck.

1 Like

I honestly am starting to believe that you either just have it with the crosspicking thing or you don’t. But I hope you figure it out! I’ve been at it forEVER, not any closer than day one really lol.

2 Likes

I think part of the op’s issue is how he’s phrasing the arpeggio. It’s not like how you are playing it, but it jumps from the last note back to the first so he has the very big jump back to the lowest note of the phrase.

A phrase like that isn’t very easy to play fast with cross picking across three strings and more would even be more daunting, and why a lot of people probably would opt to play it just on two strings with that particular sequence the op is using. Even those who would choose 3 strings for what ever reason would likely do it as with a half swept D,D,U picking pattern.

1 Like

Well, there are a lot of examples of people playing the three note roll with cross picking like this. It’s not uncommon although not very easy to get into. And from what I can gather the OP is looking to find a functional double escape picking, rather than just finding a way to play that specific phrase. There are many ways to solve a certain group of notes on the guitar, which is cool, but double escape picking opens up so many possibilities that are hard to work out other ways.

1 Like

The OP as far as I can gather has just been working on 1nps patterns for a while. Be that as it may, if two way escape is the goal, it’s still a better idea to do it using a two string pattern instead of three. Move on to three after you can do two. Most people wouldn’t bother playing this with three strings and would just opt for two alternate picked.

1 Like

Dbx is the goal. The OP has already made that clear.

1 Like

Have you tried to chunk the 1nps arpeggio with your new motion at a faster tempo, say between 140 and 150? I mean just six notes, which would be almost the first half of a roll pattern.

Your new motion looks a lot better than your original motion which had wrist extension on every pick stroke. So It’s still quite new and may take some time before you can push it. But I do think chunking at a higher tempo can help learn how to do these motions faster. Do film it though so you know you aren’t going back to your original motion.

1 Like

Yes of course, I’m aware. We have already had this discussion earlier in this very thread, but he seems to be fixated on doing it by means of multi string 1nps arpeggios. I know he has been working on them for a while from his other posts as well.

I would personally build this by working on two string lines and going from there. If you can’t double escape well on two strings, (he also indicated this earlier) it’s going to be pretty damn hard to just magically do them on 3,4,5,6,7 or 8. It’s all about doing something that’s attainable and doing it progressively.

1 Like

Hey everyone; thanks for the replies! Lots of useful info here, and I really appreciate the discourse.

I think the toughest pill to swallow is that the efforts I have made, or are making are possibly/probably incorrect and despite being willing to put in any kind of effort to develop a movement, it’s moot because you just don’t know what’s “right”; they all feel awkward and one is constantly second guessing oneself. All we can do is keep at it I suppose.

I am actually working on some two string stuff as well as a bunch of rolls, and a whole bunch of different things; just trying to see if something might actually progress. I am hoping that I am just not good at playing anything quickly so it’s going to take some time to even be able to “strum” effectively with those motions; I tend to kind of revert to elbow past a certain tempo…

Still working on it, thanks so much for all of the pointers, guys!

2 Likes

Quick update; I think I am getting this actually. We’ll give it another week to bake in and then I’ll post some video to see if I have just been deluding myself again hahaha

2 Likes