Early Kotzen Sweep Picking

Hi everybody, I remember the day back in high school when a friend of mine showed me the “Rock Chops” Outro solo, that flawless sweeping florred me. This is my attempt to recreate Richies technique. Any Thoughts?

6 Likes

Seems you can play :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thank u for your kind compliment :slight_smile:

That’s awesome. After watching a bunch of Troy’s videos I’m now very interested in picking hand action and your right hand is moving so fluidly. It looks like you’re using a pretty light touch.

1 Like

Thanks for watching and commeting :slight_smile: yes, when I sweep the right hand glides softly through the strings, in my opinion the secret to both sweeping and alternate is practicing at a low speed palm muting everything, then eventually opening up when confortable.

1 Like

Hi everybody, I’ve ALREADY posted this video, but members of the staff suggested to be more specific, in this video when I sweep, instead of doing legato at the end of the six string sequence I do an UPSTROKE, this helps me to accent more firmly. Does anybody do the same?

Hi Lucas,

I use a mix depending on how many notes I’m going to play on the last string of the sweeping motion. If the supporting document from the REH video is accurate, Richie varies this too. I still have the booklet but not the video and there are 5 pages of tab on his sweeps at the end.

I’m not sure it’s in the forum rules to post the images on here. If it’s not I can probably pm you then if you are interested.

Matt

1 Like

Thanks Matt! Generally I think we should err on the side of not publicly posting stuff w/ copyrighted material from other products. Limited single example maybe okay, but I’d say best not to post images of the whole booklet. If it was something out of print / public domain maybe a different story.

Thanks for clarifying Brendan. I’ll keep it off the site but will happily show images if someone wants something specific

1 Like

Hei Matt, Thanks but I have my original Reh booklet that I bought at a local music store in the eary 2000 from a dusty bookshelf :slight_smile: thank you for sharing your thoughts my friend :wink:

2 Likes