"Eugene's Trick Bag" from Crossroads

I cleared out the garage this weekend and found a transcription of Eugene’s Trick Bag in Total Guitar June 1999 (the band Reef on the cover) I could scan it a post it?

This isn’t the one I remember but might be worth sharing?

3 Likes

Only speeded up a touch.

From Steve Allsworth, Total Guitar, June 1999

“The only point of reference is the film itself and that plays almost a semitone shaper than concert pitch, making it sound even more devlishly difficult (it clocks around 160 bpm in the film) So for practical purposes we’ve transcribed it from the film’s original pitch of A minor”

2 Likes

Leonidas Kavakos is total badass, one of the best musicians of our times, given the Gramophone Award for Artist of the Year in 2014. Recently had the tremendous honor of performing Bach’s Chaconne from the second Partita for Solo Violin at Bach’s grave. His chops, obviously are phenomenal, and so is his knowledge and understanding of style. A true virtuoso.

Did Marshall know that he had a guitar for a chin? Lol

That’s so fast! Do you believe those string changes are even something to be concerned for violinists since the radius of the bridge/ fingerboard does not create a " plane of the strings" like in our beloved guitars.

Would be nice to ask a pro violinist. I know Troy Grady has mentioned this before and Andy Wood also states that on mandolin that radius is something familiar to him (although is a much more flat radius) and he even feels much more comfortable on Les Paul because of the bridge being more similar to that mandolin.

In general, the string changes are easier, but doing things like string skipping is tough on the violin.

But, one huge advantage with violins… is that a lot of the bow techniques/mechanics have been refined over centuries… but with alternate picking… we’ve only had a few decades… and much of what we learn is self-taught. People like Heifetz and Kavakos started the violin when they were in the cradle (I’m not joking)… and were often taught based upon generations of ‘best practices’

But I think if a child prodigy was taught by Troy from the age of 3… I’m sure he could play Paganini’s 5th at a ludicrous speed in no time.

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Adambrad technique critique - Crossroads