Exploring Originality: How Are You Developing Your Own Musical Voice?

Man I love Howard Stern, it’s still hard to believe Richard Christy played the drums in death…

He played for a hardcore band then went on to be a regular on the Howard Stern show.

I believe in Riley btw lol

he’s my faaaaaavooooorite :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Really good drum player.

That’s true as well, not really want I meant. I meant more a lot of people try to be like everyone else. It pretty much started with EVH, everyone wanted to be Eddie and play like Eddie for the most part and it really shows in the music from the mid 80s too. These days I see people who have amazing technique, but they just play other peoples music or solos or licks to exclusion of their own thing. That’s not very interesting to me, I mean if that’s what you want to do more power to you too. I would just rather people try to work that stuff into something new and unique and exciting. There’s way too much cookie cutter stuff going round these days and it’s just downright boring.

2 Likes

YES. There are a few monster players of late who’ve obviously put in loads of work, just to sound pretty much exactly like someone else. What is the point? lol

2 Likes

I saw an interview where jAKE e. lEE WAS SAYIN GTHAT BACK IN THE 80S THEY LEARNED SONGS BY PLAYING TO THE RECORD AND FIGURING THINGS OUT BY EAR,AND THAT EACH PLAYER HE TALKED TO THEYD SWAP IDEAS OF HOW THEY PLAYED IT AND EVERYONE WAS SORT OF DIFFERENT. nOW PKAYERS ARE GETTING LESSONS FROM A GUY ON yOUTUBE ABOUT A PARTICULAR SONG,AND EVERYONE PLAYS IT THE SAME ETC. Sorry I hit caps lock…:slight_smile:

I loved Jake’s playing on Bark and Ultimate; He was as good as anyone and was kind of like George Lynch and Warren DeMartini; Awesome stuff! I miss bands like Ratt and Dokken, I used to really love the Scorpions as well! of course Rainbow is my favourite. Those first 3 albums with Dio… oh man, talk about awesome! And actually I LOVE Dio with Iommi - His Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell stuff is so good as is all of his solo Dio works…

Okay, waitasec… I was gonna post something that had to do do with the thread… whups, old age strikes again… duhhhhr :grinning:

1 Like