Feel like I'm hitting a wall

Chunking with accents is not really working for me and also accenting every down beat is horrible for jazz swing feel, articulation is really important and you need to have full control over it in order to swing. My left hand rushes things at slower speeds so I feel that might have something to do with it. I think all these months of fast practice has just been reinforcing the rushing. One of these cases is I’ve noticed my left hand will start fretting a note prior to when its supposed to be played at slow tempos and its a subconscious habit I’m having trouble breaking.

Also in my OP I said I’d post some videos of small victories I’ve made since I started using COC stuff in January. Here’s a Pat Martino style double time lick I wrote:

And a chorus on a fast George Benson blues:

You can’t really see my hands but maybe the sound can help diagnose some problems?

Also since Troy suggested I try the Thunderstruck pattern, here’s my progress. When I started I could barely do the movements with my left hand but the synchronization is still inconsistent and you hear notes drop etc.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the post, appreciate the “small victories” update! Sorry to miss this earlier. I just edited so that the video links display with preview. I dig the jazz lick, and cool to see your progress on the Thunderstruck pattern here too.