Flexing wrist is it required?

I’ve asked for this too, not formally, but in responses to some threads. I think there should be a sticky thread where all acronyms are defined. Video references would be great. I know all the info is somewhere in the pickslanting primer…but honestly I don’t have enough time to dig through all that material in its entirety on a regular basis.

I also think it would be cool if other high level concepts were defined in this sticky thread too. Stuff like:
stringhopping threshold - for most individuals this is only possible to sustain up to x bpm 16ths notes, so when ‘starting with speed’ make sure you start at least this fast.

2 Likes

In the Gambale video Chapter 3, it is mentioned that he primarily uses a Downstroke Escape because of the optimization of a two or even note sequence on one string that ends on a downstroke. And at 13:21 on that video its mentioned that the simplest and fastest alternate picking motions all requires an even number of notes per string. This confused me a bit. Does this mean that DSX motion is ideal for alternate picking in general? Because I would think that the ideal pick escape is simply based on whether the last note is an upstroke (USX) or downstroke (DSX).