Gabrielthorn progress thread

I’ll be eternally grateful for you for pushing me out of my comfort zone so I could experience how it feels to play fast. I hope one day I can execute my arch enemy licks on faster tempos too, the Gilbert one already feels okay on 120 bpm 6s b ut the pentatonic 2nps on 2 strings still feels hard and my left hand gives up early as well.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time, just keep it up!

1 Like

Haha ok now you are killing us, this tune is pretty much the gold standard for picking techinque - at least in a rock context :slight_smile:

Great playing once again, and interesting motion! I think your next post should be a show and tell :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t execute it flawlessly every time at 190 bpm. Nowadays I practice everything much faster and how I do that is I chunk the parts (very small parts, like 4-8 notes ending on an extra note which is the starting note of the next chunk). It’s a very different approach I took before but hopefully it will help me to achieve my goals. I can see it happens I can play these difficult and fasts things longer and longer, sometimes nailing the entire solo, usually not without messing up or fatigue building up, but the improvement is clear (and I hope I’m not lying to myself or anything).

Still the string shifts to the lower strings feels really unnatural and hard but there we go, on 130 bpm today (still far from the target of 155)

3 Likes

That sounds really solid, nice chunky tone too. I don’t think it will be long until you nail this one… very jealous indeed!:sob:

1 Like

Here’s an example of chunking something I’m really struggling with, on a slightly higher tempo (170 bpm) than the original (that’s somewhere between 160-165) I’m not sure what I’m trying to do here is correct or a waste of time, so any feedback is appreciated :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not sure what part of this is “really struggling” here, especially if its above tempo :grin:
What happens when you koin up the chunks at tempo? To me, i’m not sure why you didn’t put them together…

What is it that you are trying to accomplish? What is the end goal?

When I’m trying to put together, my right hand gets tired, especially after the string change when returning from the second position to the first, and I need to pick an upstroke on the G and a downstroke on the E string to start the lick again. It usually falls apart there. I’m trying to be able to play it on the target tempo without getting tired, that’s my goal.

Hehe thank you, no reason to be jealous, it’s still very far from 155 bpm :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

But your chunking at 170???

Yes, as the original song is around the 160-165 range and I want to play it one day :neutral_face:

I never practiced Universal Mind to a click, and I always happen to play it fast and a little sloppy. When I slowed down to the actual speed it was pretty solid and getting tired is never an issue. This is anecdotal to me, but I find value in playing things faster because “at tempo” it will feel more manageable, and if you happen to play with a drummer that rushes things live (which I did), you can keep up.

1 Like

I thought the original was about 155 ish, maybe I wrong…

If I escape from my bedroom one day and perform in a pub for 10 people with a drummer who’s rushing, it may come handy being able to play it a little faster. Also, I think in a live situation I’d perform at least 20-30% worse, I’ve never played in front of people.

1 Like

An other thing I’ve starting working on this week is this lick. I find the position shifts with the left hand pretty demanding, this recording is a good attempt I recorded just now, but usually I screw up with my left hand after a few position shifts. Original is 15 bpm faster.

3 Likes

Dude, you need to chill out! You are putting you mindset into a negative space before you have arranged a date for the stage to step on! You are very close to nailing it, just enjoy the ride! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Are you 100% happy with your fretting on this? Can you dominate the lick legato? Judging from your vids I would assume yes, but always worth checking for excess tension that makes you think the picking is the problem…
Edit: referring to the LTE lick

Sounds stellar, super clean

I’m in a quiet positive mood actually regarding my guitar playing in the last few weeks. Even playing in a small pub was out of my reach before, so it’s a massive improvement in mindset for me :smiley: I can hear at least 3 obvious dirty picking mistake in the Stratosphere lick, but it’s getting better day by day.

I can play through the Universal Mind lick only with the freeting hand once without stopping but that’s my maximum at the moment at 170 bpm.

Good good! You should feel positive - I know I would be!

I bet if you could get it twice round with the left hand, then your picking would make it.