Gabrielthorn progress thread

Yep those 3-string arps can be pretty tricky! IIRC I used a mix of hybrid picking and sweeping to kind of “cheat” my way through them, whatever gets the job done :slight_smile:

I struggle with the 1st arpeggio for some reason - using my 3rd ginger on the e-string feels awkward

Which arpeggio do you mean exactly?

The initial 3 string arp at 1:02.

Can you post a tab of the specific shape you have problems with? It’s hard to identify like this for me :frowning_face:

Err… I don’t have the tab, but the arpeggios that you stated were difficult, its basically the 1st one based at the 12th fret.

@tommo @Pepepicks66 @eric_divers so I’ve been messing around with the Erotomania run while watching Pepepicks66’s stream and gave a shot to play it with the pull-off (cheating :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) trick. Yes yes, my hand is not fast enough to keep up (and my tremolo also tops around 190 bpm, anything above that lasts only for a few bars).

My first sloppy attempt I’ve recorded on 150 bpm (6 bpm slower still than the original), I did it straight after the stream, with mistakes, but feels so much easier to play this way.

5 Likes

You need to do some streaming of your own, clearly :smiley:

3 Likes

Sounds good! I think you’ve got those shifts down better than I do, such a pain!

3 Likes

I’m still not picking every 10th note, so I think you play it better, all picked.

There’s no such thing as “cheating”: if it sounds good and feels good, it’s good :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

I’m getting closer to truly accept this, day by day. I’m just poking myself I think.

3 Likes

Well, to me you are a technical genius. Haven’t listened to all your recent videos but everything I’ve heard is picking wise wonderful.

It’s also great to hear you play an actual piece of music. And hearing you practicing Morning star I think what jumps out to me is your vibrato. We have already mentioned this but now it got more clear that this is what is missing for this to really sound like musical phrases instead of well practiced licks.

At the moment it sounds like you have two different vibratos, one fast and erratic (maybe a bit nervous sounding) that seems more unconscious and a super slow one that you seem to consciously apply on longer notes. This slower vibrato feels like you are actively controlling the bending motion.

What you want is to get a vibrato that is consistent and automated so that you just effortlessly “turn it on” whenever there is a chance. For many players this vibrato is also almost an unconscious result of landing on a longer note. It’s almost takes an active choice NOT to turn on the vibrato on longer notes when it is automated.

So I would suggest you listen to players that have vibrato that you love and try to emulate that. I think this would really do wonders to the overall sound of your playing. Your picking is already at pro level.

3 Likes

I feel a bit overwhelmed reading your opinion about my picking, but thank you :slight_smile: I really don’t feel like that, but I don’t deny the progress I made in the last month. I hope I’ll find a solution for my outstanding issues one day and they’ll click, and I really miss the USX stuff, especially for rhythm playing.

Can you recommend any sources to read more about vibrato? I never practiced it and it looks like I’m not gifted with a naturally good vibrato.

1 Like

Find an example of a piece of playing where you like the sound of the vibrato, slow it right down to hear all the nuances, recreate it yourself.

2 Likes

I don’t have the most memorable or creative vibrato, but the video below really helped me to get away from the “strangled cat” sounds I was making until recently:)

2 Likes

I just started checking this 10 minutes ago :smiley: Yes, my playing sounds like butchering cats, really. :frowning_face:

You are doing fine man - I think you are really hard on yourself :slight_smile:

The way I approach vibrato these days is as a sequence of mini-bends: so I can choose how far I want to do each bend and how many bends per beat.

It’s a bit of a “robotic” approach but it works for me - it doesn’t even require much practice, just some decision-making :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sometimes I think I am yes, but I had not made much progress in the past so I need to get used to making some recently :slight_smile: I’m talking about the vibrato now, in my country we call this vibrato mosquito vibrato :smiley: I did not pay any attention to vibrato before but it’s time to work on this as well.

My vibrato guys are Malmsteen, John Sykes, István Alapi, Péter Kun (some Hungarian guys who made the biggest influence on my musical taste when I was young, and they are lightning fast).

I also renamed my Erotomania take and removed the word “cheating” to make conscious efforts on not being too hard on myself :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah I would say you are ‘choosing’, not ‘cheating’. Considering that players might struggle with a fully legato version, you are ahead of the curve!

2 Likes