Get Ready To Rotate! Pickslanting Primer Update: Forearm Motion

Thanks for letting me know about this. I have consistent difficulty with the social aspects of communication, and accidentally insult people on a regular basis. I’ll add this to my list of best practices.

@Drew, I apologize if my post came across as an attempt to pile on or bully you. I mostly just like discussing technical topics. I have built a bunch of compressors, and wanted to share knowledge. On rereading, I don’t think I added anything useful that wasn’t already said. Sorry.

Your post was totally ok! It’s a common phrase and I doubt anyone took it negatively. This is just me taking the opportunity to be reveal how thin-skinned I really am when it comes to internet conversation.

I have occasionally wondered, in an I-don’t-remotely-have-the-knowledge-to-answer-this kind of way, whether a tube amp is a bit like a variable mu compressor

which I thought meant the ratio increases the further a signal is above the threshold but now I’m looking into it and I’m not even sure about that any more

Another great video from the CtC team!

I almost fell off my chair at 3:57 (YouTube vid - several open strings seemingly stop making any noise, despite remaining undamped, when Troy strikes a single note on another string).

Yeah, what Tory said - I definitely didn’t take it that way at all, and in fact having someone else chime in helped me consider that maybe my understanding of the mechanics of a compressor was wrong.

And, honestly, this is how the internet is supposed to work - two people disagree, so we go about trying to empirically figure out who’s correct, and try to form agreement based on the resulting evidence/experimentation/sources consulted, etc. Thesis, antithesis, synthesis, all that. If I’m wrong in something, I’d certainly like to know that! :slight_smile:

(Really, my single biggest concern here isn’t that I might be wrong… It’s that, as a guy who’s always favored a lower-gain tone for “shred” playing, if maybe somehow I’m doing myself a disservice not in terms of a more “forgiving” playability, but in making noise control harder than it might be otherwise)

I wouldn’t worry about that. The lower gain sounds are just less noisy, so less noise control is needed. Medium gain blues tones have less audible string noise, and clean tone guitar like an Albert Lee type sound has almost none unless you really whack a wrong string by accident.

What, and miss an opportunity to neurotically worry about something I have no control over?!?

:rofl:

1 Like