Guitar height/Strap length

@WhammyStarScream He obviously stole the flexible strap idea from Sykotik Sinfoney’s Stanky Poozle. :wink:

1 Like

lol so cool i love the voice box

1 Like

lol omg just seen him surfing on the guitar! wtf

1 Like

They’re my favorite band no one has ever heard of. lol There’s a fair amount of this show up on youtube, and it’s all pretty wild. The nun guitar player (Brian Young) was really quite good, and later played for David Lee Roth for a time.

1 Like

I grew up on grunge, Pearl jam, nirvana etc etc. I still listen to it every so often. Especially Pearl jams first album “ten”. Different strokes for different folks eh!? :wink:

I love hair metal, probably why I have auto dislike for grudge. Tho I saw a video of nirvana awhile ago and thought it was awesome, so I’m mostly talking shit.

I love it lol just like when axl rose jumped into the crowd after a cameraman, true entertainment.
lol! imagine getting attacked by your own bouncers! I can’t dislike that it’s awesome

You clearly have a grudge against grunge since it killed hairmetal :slight_smile: It’s even manifesting itself into typos!!! lol

Joking aside, I love grunge and hairmetal. I rediscovered SuperUnknown a few months ago and was blown away. So much of that songwriting was over my head since I was about 12 when I played it non-stop. There is some top-notch songwriting happening on that album.

Re: grunge vs hairmetal, there is some awesome stuff and some horrible stuff that came from both genres. That’s true of all genres and music from all time periods in general though. As time goes on, the gold works its way to the top and the garbage sinks. I’m sure Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn weren’t the only three dudes creating music in Austria/Germany back in their day, but those three became immortal. There was even a period where Bach drifted out of popularity, then people rediscovered him and of course went “OMFG what a genius”. Tchaikovsky is one of my favorite composers and from things I remember reading in college, there were times where musicologists didn’t value him that highly compared to others. Now he’s one of the most played that’s out there.

Back on topic, I never could stand wearing my guitar low. I played in a pretty heavy band so I’m sure I looked really stupid on stage, but at least I could play my parts comfortably without too many mistakes lol!

1 Like

lol Freudian slip.

I agree many great songs in all genres. I think that main thing I dislike is the lack of virtuosity on the instruments thats happened over time in music. Popular music ofcourse

Yep, agreed. I went through a period (judgement only aimed at myself, none others) where I got a little, lets say “snobby” and I considered lots of music as inferior due to lack of virtuosity. I think at the end of the day though I just really appreciate anything that’s put together well, or even just something I connect with in some way.

The way Soundgarden utilizes alternate tunings, unusual chord progressions, and odd time signatures (that don’t sound odd unless you actually count them out) is all pretty amazing to me. That’s as impressive (again, to me) as some crazy solo with perfect alternate picking. To me it’s a type of virtuosity because I consider it highly refined composition. I can sit back and marvel at both as something that only elite musicians can pull off. Plus, if Chris Cornell isn’t considered a virtuoso rock singer than I don’t know who else qualifies lol!

There’s other songs I really like that don’t have anything impressive at all about them :slight_smile: It could be something nostalgic, or just some catchy pop song where I like the chorus. Different strokes for sure.

2 Likes

You could say jumping into the crowd to beat up a camera man is a form of entertainment virtuosity :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think on topic, in terms of virtuosic preformance, the violin is up there, and thats literally under the chin.

I understand the idea of low strap vs high, it’s like telling a joke, if you look like you’re putting to much effort into it, it falls flat, but if you just casually chuck it out there then people recognize it better, they big it up, instead of you. It’s like memes, they are low quality but communicate the idea, if you put to much effort into the communication it comes across poorly. If you can’t put things into basic English and simple words you don’t understand it.
Thats the whole concept of being cool, having a control over things to the point it looks like you’re not trying.

I think you can look cool/relaxed with a high strap if you’re playing well.

Jeff Young looks cool to me.

Ultimately being yourself is the coolest thing you can do. Even if like Jesus you get killed for it, pretty cool lol

Many years ago I went through the same thing, until I tried to learn songs by some of the artists I considered the most “sophisticated” (see: Anata, The Conductor’s Departure) and realized they were “medium difficulty” at most.

I had an epiphany the other day: all of the music that just sort of “jumps out of me” is remarkably easy for me to play. It’s not that way because I’m only writing what I can play, but because it’s what I want to hear!

1 Like

Takes a form of virtuosity to play good basic songs tho… Virtuosity is ofcourse not just physical mechanics. It’s being really good at bringing your inner imagination into reality. So it’s still about being highly skilled be it dancing around or sitting down. Like bruce lee said, expressing yourself truly as a human being is the hardest thing to do.