Guthrie Govan picking lesson he covered everything

That’s cool. It’s very similar to what Troy has been doing lately teaching the motions by learning a way “anyone can do”, away from the guitar, with a prop. Then you gradually introduce the motion to the guitar.

1 Like

I will say though it appears to me, after watching it a few more times, that he is sort of using more tension here as opposed to just a more relaxed shake. Both approaches work, but thought I would point this out for those wondering about it.

I agree we don’t necessarily need to see a person’s specific motion if it’s already properly documented. But hearing a player’s philosophy behind their technique. How they got there…that’s gold.

Rick Beato’s interview with Yngwie is a prime example. I’m not an Yngwie fan per se, but got a lot out of that interview.

1 Like

Are you talking about his tremolo in the original video (posted near the top of the thread), or his strumming in the video you posted where he used the prop? His tremolo definitely looks really tense to me. I’ve listened to Guthrie more than I’ve watched him, but to me looks like a player that may not have flawless technique…but it doesn’t matter because he sounds awesome, and IMO he’s “musically” above the vast majority of even good players. :slight_smile: His technique is great, sure there are probably some efficiency upgrades he could get, but if I played as well as he does, I wouldn’t even bother. His technique is “good enough” to accomplish what he wants to say on the instrument.

I think after watching both it seems it is more of a tensed version. Both are viable, and are used for different context. The non tense shake is more fluid and liquid-y, to add flair to a solo section, the other tensed one is more of like a strict rhythmic vibe to define a beat for either chord melody/fill or actual rhythm guitar part.

Oddly enough after seeing more of this the more I see of Shawn Lane I do notice a very relaxed incredibly fast nervous shake from both left and right hands. Even my relaxed turn key motion doesn’t move near as fast as Shawn’s hands move. It is like this hyper shake that some how he was able to sync up.

1 Like

Yeah Shawn Lane was something else. Dart thrower motion was his thing. I don’t know if it’s got more speed potential than the reverse dart thrower stuff Troy has been showing us but I think it is at least mechanically “stronger” as it’s the same movement used in swinging a hammer (dart thrower, that is)

1 Like