Having a Zoom call with yourself? [Displaying magnet footage in real time]

Hi friends,

Perhaps this is old news but today I was playing around with my Magnet and realized that dismounting my phone every time I wanted to check my footage can be annoying so I came up with this method to see the live(ish) feed from the magnet view directly on my iPad/laptop:

I’ve found this way of practicing with the Magnet quite beneficial and enjoyable and wanted to share it with the community.

Cheers and rock on!

9 Likes

I love this type of thinking - what a great idea! Thank you for sharing it with us!

There’s an app called DroidCam which turns any smartphone into a remote webcam. I started using it for online lecture delivery during the pandemic, and I used it in all of my Zoom lessons.

In principle, you could also run DroidCam on a Magnet mounted smartphone too.

2 Likes

Cool idea! BTW, what kind of pick is that? It looks a strange shape, although could be the angle of the camera.

And the new Mac OS has the “droid cam” concept built in. It works pretty well!

2 Likes

I’m glad you’ve found this idea useful, folks.

Also, I didn’t know about that “droid cam” thing. I’ll definitely check it out!

wait how do you do this exactly? i also find dismounting and remounting the camera to be an inconvenience, so this is exactly what i’m looking for.

Start a Zoom call on your phone. Join that call with your computer.

I’ve used 4xCameraMaker from Roland on iOS to do the same sort of thing.

I’ve been using an app called Elgato Camera Hub that let’s you use your phone as a webcam without needing to set up a video call.

Also, this way you can split your monitor in 2: one side showing the magnet view from your phone and the other displaying a frontal view from your regular webcam. This combo has been a great help.

2 Likes

I gotta try that. I’m not sure if I’m unique here but I can see a problem more easily than I can feel it. I think it’s just something that comes with the territory when you’ve been playing for…forever. Pretty sure I just hit my guitar playing 30th anniversary this year.

If you have Apple devices you don’t need zoom (or even FaceTime). You just need to mirror your screen on another Apple device. You can do it from the ‘swipe down’ actions screen in about 5 seconds

Have to be on Ventura or newer, though.

If you set a delay that is pretty interesting too. Playing something and seeing what you just played a few notes ago

Sure, but Ventura was out more than a year ago and is free.

I guess you need a computer newer than from 2017…

Some of us - more than you would think - are on much older hardware. My iMac goes back to 2011.

1 Like

lol can’t believe I didn’t think of that

You can use EPOCCAM and OBS to view and record your phone footage. There is a free and paid version of epoccam and OBS is free. You run epoccam on your phone and set it as a video source in OBS. Then hit record in OBS and start playing! I used this for a mobile webcam while streaming (mostly when people wanted to see what a cat was doing…) and want to use it for Magnet footage when I start streaming again.