How do I find my "right" wrist motion without my forearm interfering?

There might not be a quick/easy answer but if I wanted to use elbow but maintain upstroke escape is there a straightforward way to access this?

I can definitely get a bit more speed than my usual (wrist/forearm?) motion if I use elbow instead but it messes with my escapes/string changes.

Traditional DSX elbow and the USX “Zakk Wylde mystery motion” are really two completely different feeling and operating techniques, which is probably why I’ve never seen a pro player actually use both of them and switch between them as their style. Players mostly appear to be one or the other. If you want to learn the Zakk / Tommy Emmanuel version, I have no special hints other than looking at what it looks like and doing what I do - lots of experimentation at faster speeds until you figure it out!

Edit: More importantly, I try not to choose the technique so much as go with what is working. If you have an elbow motion that is fast, and it is the DSX variety, absolutely no reason not to use that. We’ve seen some amazing results here on the forum with players hitting big speed and fluidity with elbow technique.

1 Like