How to structure practice exercises

I practice mainly in up to 2 sessions a day of: [3 sets x 3 exercises x 3 minutes], I have an ‘exercise bank’ and I choose my exercises from it (also if I did 1 exercise in yesterday’s night, I’d probably repeat it in the morning session), also in addition to that I play few times some of the exercises in the bank.

When should I switch exercises, after each 2 days or 1 day? OR switch exercises only after I ‘perfect’ them (play them good enough for my current level/standards)?

(the exercises I pick are mainly parts of musical composition that work on some specific technical mistakes I have)

1 Like

I think there are videos on this site where Troy talks to experts about practice routine. They’re either on here or the YouTube channel. I don’t remember specifics. Make a short list of stuff you want to master, rotate them when you practice. I do whatever I want, or feel like. Do the same. :thinking:

:bear:

1 Like

The interview @Hanky_Pooh is referring to is our talk with Noa Kageyama, who studies practice / performance strategy. Here are a few quick tips drawn from that:

Learning methods on guitar?

If you search this forum for “practice” I think there are a few other threads here you may find interesting too!

The full interview with Noa is here if you want to check it out:

https://troygrady.com/interviews/noa-kageyama/

2 Likes