I got some video of my picking hand for you to look at

Well that’s not really the debate. Sure there are some people who can do that, just as there are others who can with relatively small, you can find examples of both if you dig around! But for most people, there are likely practical limitations to either, which was the point. If you happen to be some freak of nature who can play 13nps doing Pete Townsend windmills, by all means use it, but its probably not the most likely scenario for most players.

1 Like

This guy must give the best back scratches lol. Insane chord speed!

2 Likes

@joebegly I agree 100% with everything you said, and I have fallen into that trap as well and struggled with it in my past. I even changed the way I held my hand and pick after years of playing because of how I saw Paul Gilbert do it on his reh videos, and I really wanted his sounds and pick attack. to this day haven’t the foggiest clue how I used to do it, which probably was perfectly fine. The conclusion I came to after years and frustration was the one I listed. “That we are all physiologically different”, and if this isn’t working for ME, why the hell am I wasting my time? I need to stop trying to do what they do, how they do it, and do it the way I can. After I made this realization, things started to turn around and I realized, “Hey, doing it the way I could, didn’t stop me from playing the same things those guys could, and it didn’t stop them from sounding good! I just shouldn’t focus on every minor detail of how these guys were achieving it”

This was all before Troy started this whole project, and I really wish I had something like this when I was going through it.

2 Likes