Identify my right hand technique (forearm rotation + elbow?)

hey @lukasgraesslin , I agree with the others about some suspected elbowy / DSX-y motion creeping in at the higher speeds.

Now, since you mentioned consistency, it would be good to see what happens when you try to play some DSX licks (i.e. only changing strings after downstrokes) with the exact same motion. Are you more consistent there? Do they feel easier?

If so, it may be further evidence that this motion is indeed more biased towards DSX. And the consistency problems may be due to you thinking that you are doing one thing, while doing another :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all the input!

I’ll try out some more DSX-y stuff. When I did it the last time it didn’t really feel easier or better but that might also just be because it’s “new” to me.

One thing that I tried yesterday though was to keep my DWPS handposition and really concentrate on not using my elbow at higher speeds and just use wrist/forearm. Just for fun and to see if I can do it. I think it was actually more successful than the DSX way.
I can instantly feel when elbow is used so it was not super hard to prevent it, I just really had to concentrate on it and tried not to move it at all for the test.

It felt much more relaxed that way and it makes me think that this might be something to work on a bit more. Especially since I’m so extremely used to this handposition that has quite some DWPS and would work with USX.

I’ll work on it a bit more and try to make another video if there is progress to show.

The fact alone that I was using DSX even though I was sure it was USX already helped me on focusing on the right things, so thanks again!

1 Like

Have you tried, for fun, playing that phrase but starting on an upstroke? That’s how Jeff Loomis plays it.

Otherwise, it’s cool to hear you report things are feeling more comfortable and you’re having some success intentionally bypassing elbow.

Yeah that’s what I tried. Feels very weird although I think I could get it to work with more practice. But I think I’ll focus more on the no-elbow approach for now.

Hey, just wanted to give a quick update about my progress of reducing elbow movement :smiley: (it’s not that it’s crucial for me to get rid of it but if it might improve my playing, why not)
From time to time when I’m playing I try to work on the fast stuff and see what’s going on with the movement.

Had to film it with my DSLR again because of the lighting so no proper slomo unfortunately.
I think if you take that tendon on the right arm that stands out a bit as a reference and compare it to the video in my first post the whole arm moves quite a bit less. At least I think so, definitely feels like it though because I can tell that I’m quite a bit more relaxed.

Compared to your first video it looks like there’s a little less forearm motion, I think a front angle would be best to identify forearm though?

Have just edited my previous post with another video. Still hard for me to tell to be honest from looking at it, but feeling wise it’s less tense for me (damn red light syndrom aside…) than before so I definitely don’t regret trying to focus on less elbow.

1 Like

Better angle I think! Elbow motion seems to be there a little, but I wouldn’t call that your primary. Looks like wrist flexion / extension?

Sick finish on that guitar too! What is it?

Yeah definitely possible I guess.

That’s a custom Skervesen Raptor:

1 Like