Introduction to this forum

After taking some of the advices to heart and watching initiate vids from CtC I uploaded a new take from my tremolo. I think its better now.

5 Likes

This is looking and sounding good! It’s a little difficult to tell what’s happening due to the camera angle. If you film down the neck it’s easier to see the specifics such as grip, which joints are being used, which escape path etc etc. It’ll make it easier in future to help out if you are having difficulties.

But that’s the right idea, a tremolo that’s fast and relatively easy right away is what you want

3 Likes

I recorded the lick as you mentioned.

3 Likes

This is fantastic! It looks very smooth and it also looks like it feels “easy” to you —does it? :slight_smile:

I am hearing some hand sync issues, or is the lick supposed to have repeated notes?

In any case you are totally going in the right direction. Now that you have the speed going you could try to slow down just enough so that you can try to fix the synchronization. But don’t slow down to the point that the picking motions become different!

…or try a different lick which works nicely with your motion! Whatever you find is working, do more of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed here. The lick he’s doing was at my suggestion just to see if he’s a USX or DSX guy. The tabs are here, played starting on a downstroke and also trying it starting on an upstroke:

|.--15-12-15-12-------------.|
|.--------------15-12-15-12-.| etc

I figured the repetition of the 2 notes on each string would help with the tracking nightmare many express feeling when quickly changing strings every 2 notes.

It almost sounds like we’re hearing:

|.--15-12-12-------------.|
|.--------------15-12-12-.| etc

If sync is an issue at this speed and you’re just trying to figure out if you’re better at changing strings after up vs down strokes, you could intentionally double pick each note too

|.--15-15-12-12-------------.|
|.--------------15-15-12-12-.| etc

And same recommendation, see if you’re better when you start on an upstroke vs a downstroke

But yeah, great playing and good sound/attack/bending.

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback and helpful suggestions. The coming days/ week I will work it out. There are indeed some synchronicity issues here. I have to work on that. The first part I seem to have solved, or better improved that is the pick and pick position (and the use of the tip) based on the lessons I watched from Troy. They are amazingly helpful. It seems I play fast parts with the elbow motion rather then wrist. Depending on the speed and type of lick or part I play I switch this. With the speed test I do significantly better with the elbow motion. But they both can be used and improved.

2 Likes

Great to know! So this means for your fast stuff, you’ll want to play licks that change strings after down strokes. You could probably really fly on a repeated sextuplet pattern like this:

|.----------10-11-12--10-11-12----------.|
|.-10-11-12--------------------10-11-12-.|
   D  U  D  U  D   U   D  U  D  U  D  U

All the cascade EJ stuff that you mentioned that was challenging…that’s going to continue to be challenging (at or approaching the speed Troy demos them) with the type of motion mechanic you’ve got.

If you approach it from a DSX player’s perspective though, you could probably get a lot of fluidity playing a pattern like this:

-12--------------------------------------------------------------|
----15-12--------12----------------------------------------------|
----------14-12-----14-12---------12-----------------------------|
---------------------------14-12-----14-12--------12-------------|
-------------------------------------------14-12-----14-12-------|
-----------------------------------------------------------15-12-|
 U  U  D  U  D    U  U  D  U  D    U  U  D  U  D   U  U  D  U  D

You’d probably be great at that too since you mentioned you’re good at sweeping. So you’d be capitalizing on 2 of your strengths in that the alternate picked changes happen after a downstroke and sweeps happen when the pick is naturally trapped. Plus it retains the EJ vibe of playing groups of 5’s with the smooth sound of the sweeps blended in.

2 Likes

Way better trem, the sound is noticeably different in that you’re not digging in. Awesome!

3 Likes