Is anybody doing UWPS using rotational movement?

It seems like the rotational movement lends itself perfectly to DWPS, but I wonder if there are examples of UWPS using rotation as well. I haven’t seen anybody doing that. Is it impossible?

1 Like

I also have the feeling it is impossible! To me it feels like the forearm rotation movement couples naturally with a rest-stroke on the downstroke.

EDIT: Inspired by @Judmeister’s reply below: in a primary UWPS two-way pickslanting system, I think I use forearm rotations to do the occasional brief changes to DWPS, but it is definitely not the main picking movement (and it feels like I’m giving a sort of slap to the strings).

2 Likes

Well when your forearm is already pronated lying flat on the body it makes it hard for me at least to do it for down strokes
When two way with primary up then the upstroke is where I use it more so

2 Likes

Well, today I have learnt that I do UWPS coupled with forearm rotation :smile: That being said, I am nowhere near being good at that technique because I’ve been working on it for mere five days so far. I though I would mention it just to let you know that it is not impossible :wink: However, I’m not sure how advantageous that kind of picking actually is…:thinking:

It’s possible if you do a Michael Angelo Batio style “bridge” with fingers braced against the guitar near the high E string. But I think Batio’s movement is more of a wrist/elbow blend with only a tiny amount of forearm rotation, if any. I can do a version of each, and to me the “forearm rotation” version feels slower, and more importantly, harder to adapt for use with 2-way slanting. (and I say that as a guy who is very much from the Yngwie forearm/wrist school in DWPS)

Cool! I’d love to see how you do it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@qwertygitarr, I made a video yesterday and posted it in the thread Something wrong with my forearm rotation. The video is in post #14 (the link should take you there). You can see my technique and orientation of the pick more or less clearly at 0:27 and later at 1:20.

I want to stress it again: I am nowhere near being good at that technique and I mentioned it just to let you know that it is possible. And I’m not sure whether it is an advantageous way of picking in any regard.

1 Like

Ardeshir Farah from “Strunz & Farah” uses forearm rotation doing UWPS. Check out their ctc interview.